There are few soups as flavourful and satisfying as vegetarian Tom Yum.
This version only takes 10 minutes to assemble.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 container low-sodium vegetable stock (900 ml)
- 1 can coconut milk (398 ml)
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 1 block firm tofu (350 grams), diced
- 1 + 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp red curry paste (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
In a large saucepan, sauté onion with some olive oil on low heat until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add chili garlic sauce to pan, mixing well with onion.
Run edamame under hot water, drain and set aside.
Add the next 9 ingredients to onion mixture: vegetable stock, coconut milk, red pepper, tofu, edamame, green onion, lime zest, lime juice and curry paste. Mix together.
Add most of chopped basil and coriander (reserving some for topping) and combine. Allow soup to warm through before serving with lime wedges and a sprinkle of herbs.
Photos by Trinity Nutrition