Warning: you may never eat another pasta dish again.
- 450 grams penne rigate, (1 box)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves (or to taste), minced
- 1 chipotle pepper* in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup 10% cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup slivered roasted beets, (about 2 medium size beets)
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach, (about 8 cups)
- Handful of Enoki mushrooms
- Sea salt
Roast beets according to directions set out here.
Meanwhile, cook penne al dente according to package directions. Drain and add cooked penne to saucepan with spinach chipotle cream sauce, mixing to combine. Add slivered beets and watch pasta take on a gorgeous pink/purple hue.
Divide pasta into serving bowls and top with a few mushrooms and fresh spinach.
* We all have different tolerance levels for spicy food (warming: chipotle peppers are hot!). You can start with a minimal amount (a quarter pepper for example), and test your comfort. There are also chipotle sauces available with a less concentrated intensity than the actual pepper.
Photos by Trinity Nutrition