Oatmeal Cranberry Ginger Cookies & A Holiday Wish

It’s hard to believe that we are only three days away from Christmas.
Time seems to accelerate over time…
I wanted to take a moment to wish everyone a beautiful holiday and extend my very best wishes for the New Year ~
I look forward to returning in 2012 with more wholesome recipes to get us started on the right track.
And…
Just in case anyone is still looking for that last minute something to offer guests or a favourite host/ess, these easy-to-prepare ginger delights might just do the trick.
Unlike their snappy cousin, these cookies made with spelt, oatmeal and blackstrap molasses are soft, chewy and impossible to resist.
I like working with blackstrap molasses because it has a very distinct taste that I absolutely adore (reminiscent of black licorice) and is less refined than fancy molasses.
Spelt, although a glutenous grain, is often better tolerated by those who have difficulty digesting wheat.
So, with that in mind, I offer up my very first cookie post.

Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry Ginger Cookies
  • 1 cup spelt flour (substitute flour of choice)
  • 1 cup whole grain oatmeal
  • 1 + 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries (substitute apricot, fig or prune)
  • 4 pieces crystallized ginger, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup butter at room temperature (vegan option: 1/4 cup olive oil,  1/4 cup apple sauce)
  • 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used turbinado)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (or to taste)

————–

Heat oven to 350 F.

In a medium size bowl, combine spelt, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger , allspice, dried cranberry and crystallized ginger.

In a separate, larger bowl, beat butter, blackstrap molasses and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add egg and ginger and beat until combined.

Add dry ingredients to wet, mixing just until combined.

If dough is too soft to shape into cookie formation, place bowl with dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.  Once dough is semi-firm, drop cookie dough by tablespoon full onto greased cookie sheet (shaping it with your fingers as needed).  You can sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top of cookies before baking them for a traditional ginger cookie look or simply leave them as is (as pictured).

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes just until cooked but still soft inside.  Allow cookies to cool and set for at least 5 minutes before jumping in.

Enjoy!!

Comments

1. Amy @ ElephantEats.com says

Your very first cookie post? Who knew! :) It’s a good one to start with.

Happy holidays to you, Kelly! I hope you have a wonderful time with friends and family :)

Yum! I’m definitely on the chewy cookie side of the war versus crispy. Wholeheartedly agree about the blackstrap molasses, it’s one of my favorite ingredients in desserts and marinades

It’s amazing how little sugar you used but I’m sure the molasses help with that. I only like chewy cookies and it’s especially important with ginger cookies. They look great and good photos Kelly.

Me, when I see the cookies! :D

I can’t believe this is your first cookie post… are you sure? I could have sworn I’ve seen you make cookies before – well, I guess I must be wrong! Looks really great Kelly, I just looked up blackstrap molasses too – now I think I have found a good North American alternative to “Black Treacle” for next time people ask. This seems to be the closest match.

5. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says

Enjoy Christmas and look forward to catching up in the New Year again. Fabulous cookies.
    :-) Mandy

Kelly, your cookies look gorgeous, especially in this festive presentation. I also adore molasses I often use in my Guinness gingerbread (I mean I always do, but I often make Guinness gingerbread ;-) ). Oatmeal and spelt are the healthy kick we shall all need during holidays…

First of all, you’re HI.LA.Ri.Ous. My son clicked on your link 6 times… we couldn’t stop laughing!!

You know, I think you’ve got a point, I have posted biscotti before but I don’t think of them as cookies per se; let’s put them in the biscuit category ;0

Have never heard of Black Treacle… is that the European equivalent of North American molasses? I don’t know what treacle tastes like but blackstrap (provided you like the taste of licorice) is gorgeous…

Have a great day Charles!

These cookies are just in time for Santa.. and I don’t know what it is with you and Kristy.. but you guys are making me want Oatmeal cookies something bad right now lol. These look delicious

And what a great cookie post it is for your first one. I love it! I’m definitely going to make these after the New Year. Maybe for Valentines. :) I’m so excited that you have a white Christmas Kelly – how perfect! Still green here. It’s kind of strange. That said, I don’t really mind. After four Christmas’ in Minnesota, I’m up for a mild one. I hope that you and your boys have a fantastic holiday and that it’s filled with lots of love and laughter. Now…off to finish my list because my relaxation is about to begin! ;)

Kelly…..nothing beats a warm chewy oatmeal cookie right out of the oven. And I love the cranberries over raisins and the addition of ginger here as well! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family. It has been my joy to get to know you and I look forward to continuing the friendship in the new year. You are truly a gem! : )

The cookies look wonderful Kelly. I love the taste of blackstrap molasses too. And candied ginger…so delicious. I’ve never baked with spelt but have seen many recipes, so perhaps 2012 will be the start of something new for me.
    Happy holidays to you and your family, Kelly, may you have a healthy, happy and safe new year.

12. Sweetcarolinescooking says

These look like some great cookies, Kelly! Wonderful for the holidays. Hope you had a nice Christmas. :)

13. Back Road Journal says

I hope you had a lovely Christmas. I love oatmeal cookies but mine are rather ordinary with just raisins. I can’t wait to try your great sounding version.

Thanks Greg – I’m particularly smitten with blackstrap – I find fancy too sweet for my taste. Hope you’re having a great week.

Hi Amy – I did post a biscotti recipe but I’m thinking that’s more on the biscuit side of things ;0 – hope you’re having fun this week!

good morning food jaunts – my husband doesn’t like the hard, snappy ginger cookies so we’ve transformed it into this soft, chewy version which, it turns out, is pretty yummy! Thanks.

Yes, even blackstrap has it’s share of flavour ;0 – my husband is firm in his like of chewy vs. crunchy too! Have a great day France!

Yay for Guinness gingerbread!! I have so many new, delightful recipes from my blogging friends that I can’t wait to try! If only it could be Christmas everyday :)

Haha, I get the like for the snappy – I’m happy with either :) Hope your week is going great Parsley Sage!

Me too – spelt has gorgeous baking properties and as long as the ingredients aren’t too heavy, it rises well too. I hope you’re having a beautiful week Joanne – looking forward to feasting my eyes on more of your beautiful recipes!

Welcome Seasonal Savory and thank you for dropping by! Blackstrap has such a bold, gorgeous flavour – I’m with you. I hope you’re having a great week.

Thanks so much Nami! I hope you’re having a fabulous trip with your family and that you are all bathing in the Christmas spirit! :)

Thanks Angie – I hope you’re having a beautiful week. I look forward to enjoying more of your inspirations in 2012.

Hi Kristy, what a nice idea making them for your Valentine…it sounds like you’ve been making the absolute best of your holidays… how fun for you and family!! :)

Thanks Lisa – they ‘were’ pretty yummy :) I hope you and your boys are having a beautiful Christmas week.

Thanks Junia, you know, I don’t use crystallized ginger very often but does it ever add some punch – and you don’t need a lot to achieve that result either… yum! Have a great week.

What beautiful words Anne… thank you so much for your kindness. You know, the biggest joy of this blogging adventure for me, has been meeting people like you. Who know how much fun this was going to be! ? I hope you are having a beautiful week surrounded by sweetness and spice :)

Thanks so much Eva – it’s true, the combination of the blackstrap and crystallized ginger really added a punch to these oatmeal cookies – and there’s no limit to the fresh ginger you could add for spicing – I think you would enjoy spelt – it’s a gorgeous, silky grain – fun to experiment with and eat! :) Hope you’re having a beautiful week in Toronto Eva!

Hi Karen! Raisins are a nice touch too – it’s fun to mix it up in different ways… I hope you’re having a beautiful week.

30. Linda says

Oh Kelly, these look awesome! I just purchased a small amount of spelt flour to try out and was so excited to see this!! I’m definitely going to try these out, I love the rich color and the wonderful spice combination. Hope you and your family are having a nice holiday!

Hi Kelly, Merry Christmas to you also, it’s been fun getting to know you over the past months! I haven’t had much time to be on the computer with family here so I didn’t see your yummy cookies till now – these sound wonderful!