Avocado Pear Soup with Beet Greens and Cauliflower
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 generous cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups loosely packed beet greens, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large ripe and juicy pears, cored skin left on and roughly chopped
- 3 1/2 cups (900 mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- Handful of parsley
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- Seasonings to taste
In a large skillet set over medium-low heat, sautée onion in some olive oil until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add cauliflower and pear to skillet, sautéing for another 5 minutes or so. Add chicken or vegetable stock to skillet followed by beet greens and parsley, mixing ingredients to combine. Allow mixture to come to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover – allowing fruit and vegetables to soften for approximately 12 minutes in the skillet.
Remove skillet from heat. Working in batches, if necessary, add soup to blender along with avocado and blend until smooth. It should have the consistency of purée – you can adjust the thickness by adding water or more stock as desired and season to taste.
The soup tastes best eaten freshly made.
Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt if you wish or on its own.