Grain Free Lemon Rosemary Pancakes

If you enjoy the taste of pancakes but prefer to skip the heavy carbohydrates, you’ll want to give these savoury delights a try.

Wheat free and gluten free, these pancakes are packed with health building nutrients.  They also happen to taste great and are easy to pull together.

Grain Free Lemon Rosemary Pancakes
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp rosemary powder
  • 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary sprigs plus some for topping
  • 1/4 sea salt
  • Zest of one lemon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (or other)
——————

You can grind both the flaxseed and almonds in a dedicated coffee grinder.  The chia does not require grinding to be bioavailable.

Most baking powders are cornstarch based (gluten free), however some may be wheat based – be sure to read the list of ingredients if you wish to cook gluten free.

—————-
In a large mixing bowl, combine: flaxseed, almond, chia, baking powder, rosemary powder, rosemary sprigs and sea salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together: eggs, milk and lemon zest.  Add wet ingredients to dry mixing until combined.  Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes and then drop by 1/4 cup full onto a skillet greased with olive oil.  Allow pancakes to cook on one side before flipping to the other side.

Enjoy with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice and a dollop of plain yogurt as desired.

—————-
Spotlight on Flaxseed:

Here are some of the nutrient highlights of this oil-rich super seed:

Fibre. Ground flaxseed is an excellent source of soluble fibre – the kind attributable to lowering LDL levels (or “bad” cholesterol). The fibre component is also what makes flax highly effective at escorting waste products out of the body. Be sure to drink plenty of water as you increase dietary fibre to ease transit otherwise, ironically, it can have a constipating effect.

Lignans. Flaxseed contains lignans, plant compounds believed to protect against breast cancer. While the exact mechanism is unknown, a leading theory is that lignans exert a weak estrogen-like effect in the body tying up estrogen receptors from the more potent form of estrogen made in a woman’s body. Experts believe that the longer breast tissue is exposed to estrogen made in the body, the greater the chance for cells to become cancerous. Lignans in flax may also inhibit the action of enzymes that are involved in the body’s production of estrogen. Researchers have demonstrated that giving women as little as 1 or 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed a day can diminish circulating estrogen levels. Preliminary studies conducted on animals and men suggest that a flaxseed-enriched diet may also help prevent prostate cancer.

Plant-based Omega-3s. Flaxseed contains linolenic acid (ALA), a plant-based Omega-3 fatty acid that has been linked to heart health.

It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on FacebookPrint this pageShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Comments

Wow… this looks so interesting! Was this breakfast or dinner?! I love the combination of flax, almonds and chia seeds. I feel healthy just reading the ingredients!! Truly looks so impressive!!

You HAD to know I would go nuts for this recipe, rght? I am definitely making them this weekend, my kind of treat, I think I have flaxseeds in the freezer

awesome recipe!

Delicious Kelly! I think the only thing I don’t have on hand are the chia seeds, but I can fix that. Looks like this would be a fun breakfast to whip up for the kids this weekend. :)

These look amazing Kelly. I will try it tomorrow morning for breakfast, JT and I are both doing a ‘cleans’ since we were a little too liberal over the holidays. I don’t have chia seeds, can I substitute wheat germ (I don’t need to be totally GF)? For breakfast, I might sub cinnamon for the rosemary.

wheat germ would work beautifully – as would seasonings of your choice.

Off to the ski hills this morning – fresh dumping last night :)

Kelly, they look gorgeous and the recipe sounds very original (although I would probably devour the raspberries first!). I have seen chia seeds recently (and I thought of one of your recipes). I didn’t buy them. They cost a fortune!

Love the spotlights you’ve been doing. These look great. Would these qualify as paleo? I will give these a try. I’m out of flax meal (last batch of protein bars) but I think this will make a really lovely breakfast this weekend.

8. Eliot says

I have been using a lot of flax and flax meal. Love this recipe (especially b/c of the rosemary!) Looks and sounds superb!

Ooh, I love the idea of “flourless” pancakes. Odd question – would you eat these as a dessert or as a main course or…? The raspberries and rosemary combo threw me a little. My wife scolds me for my pancake fetish (want them every sunday!) because let’s face it, they’re not the healthiest of things, but I could probably persuade her with something like this! :D

Beautiful photo! I don’t usually indulge in pancakes at breakfast because they are so high in carbs and I prefer to get my carbs in from pasta :) But I love the idea of flourless pancakes. Great recipe!

11. Lisa says

This is my kind of pancake. I too like to make flourless pancakes and/or waffles. I made a savory waffle the other day breaking in my waffle maker that I got for Christmas. I bet the lemon and rosemary gave this pancake a wonderful flavorful burst of goodness!

12. Lisa says

I forgot to mention, you should link up your recipe with the citrus bloghop that junia organized. I linked up my citrus avocado salad today. :)

interesting, flourless pancakes! I wonder how they would taste! the flourless choc orange cake I made a while back turned out surprisingly moist yet light, I’m hoping that means these pancakes are too! definitely keeping this in mind, they look gorgeous with the raspberries!

It’s a pretty neat thing and the result doesn’t disappoint. These are dense, nutrient rich cakes that will fill you up for a while. Thanks Laura.

Thanks Leaf! It is new to us too. My husband and I are experimenting more and more with nuts in seeds in place of traditional wheat grains.

Ah yes, the timing. Well, the boys and I enjoyed the ones you see in the pic for lunch by my husband and I have also made them for breakfast. You could certainly have them at dinner too – it’s entirely up to you! Cheers Linda, have a good day.

ha.ha, going nuts describes this recipe well! ;0 I hope you enjoy if you give them a try… Thanks Sally! :)

You could always double up on the flaxseed or introduce another nut/seed as you wish. It’s fun experimenting with this one. Hope you’re having a great weekend Kristy!

Thanks so much KoKo ~ rosemary high up there for me too… so hard to pick ‘one’ favourite I find… :)

Nothing wrong with devouring raspberries!! Chia is very expensive; I won’t disagree. Flaxseed is much cheaper and despite all the chia hype, very similar in nutrition profile. You can double up on the flaxseed in this recipe or introduce a different seed or nut as you wish. I hope you’re having a great weekend Sissi ~

Hi Nomnom (love the name!) – thanks so much for dropping in and glad you felt inspired to do so ;0

Thanks Angie – this is a fairly new experiment for us – we’ve been practising over the past 4 months more and more…

Merci France ~ glad you’re enjoying the spotlights… you can pretty much sub any ground nut or seed here; hope your weekend is going well ~ xo

Thanks so much Eliot ~ I rarely go a day without using flaxseed! (rosemary’s pretty wonderful too…)

I’m not sure I would serve them as dessert – they are hearty and dense and quite calorific (I hesitate to say that in case that’s misunderstood by anyone as unhealthy) – If you don’t dig the combination of sweet and savoury, you can simply skip the berries – otherwise, these work for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Hope you’re having a great weekend Charles!

I know what you mean; when it comes to carbs it’s fun to pick the items we like the most and savour… I hope you enjoy these if you give them a try Alyssa – thanks for dropping by.

How fun to receive a waffle maker from Santa – there’s no end to the experimenting now… :) Thanks Lisa – have a great day!

I spend copious amounts of time (hee.hee!) thinking about food and sometimes it leads to yummy stuff… thanks Beth Michelle!