Oven Roasted Orange Ginger Beef Stew

It’s hard to imagine getting worked up about a parsnip.  It ranks right up there with rutabaga on the sexy scale.
And yet there I was, celebrating the delightful taste of this simple, understated white root vegetable in this stew.
Earthy and more complex than its carrot cousin, it imparts a gentle honey sweetness that is unmistakable and delicious.  Its fibrous texture is equally pleasing. A good source of folate and fibre, parsnip is a nice complement to the abundant beta-carotene found in carrot and sweet potato.
You won’t need a crockpot for this warming Sunday stew.  It’s a one pot wonder that is oven roasted and enormously quick to pull together.
Like most stews, this one tastes even better the day after once all the delicious flavourings have had an opportunity to fully emerge.  But don’t worry, you won’t be disappointed eating it straight from the oven.  And the smell of it roasting… well, I’ll let you experience that one for yourselves.
Oven Roasted Orange Ginger Beef Stew
  • 750 gram stewing beef (1 ½ pounds), cut into cubes
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 large yellow onions, chopped
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peel on cut into chunks
  • 3 parsnip, cut into chunks
  • 6-8 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup dilute orange juice (not in concentrate form)
  • 1 ½ cups beef stock
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 Tbsp grated orange zest
  • 2 heaping Tbsp grated ginger
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 Bay leaf
——————
Serves 8
Heat oven to 325 F.
In a large ovenproof casserole dish, toss beef with flour.  Add remaining ingredients to the dish and stir to combine.

I found some beautiful tricoloured carrots for this recipe
Bake the stew with cover on for 3 – 3 ½ hours (stirring occasionally if possible), until beef is tender and vegetables are al dente.
Remove bay leaves before serving.

Comments

I’ve never had a parsnip before, but I do love the idea of a one pot stew. This looks so warming and colorful. I love colorful food! :) Oh boy…gotta jet. Miss A is in the kitchen saying she’s making something – by herself. Oye!

2. Sallybr2008 says

he, he, he… sexy as a rutabaga indeed! ;-)

but I completely share your excitement, and this stew would be perfect tonight, I’m feeling a bit chilly (even though it’s ONLY 55 F outside)

the orange juice does it for me, I’m saving this recipe

Usually I have a cool comment to type but honestly.. all I can say is WOW. This Orange Ginger Beef Stew … AMAZING

4. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says

I love one pot cooking. Such a unique recipe with the orange juice, sounds fantastic.
    :-) Mandy

It must be the week of the parsnip, Kelly, Charles posted a recipe for parsnip chips! I love them regardless. I find that when I roast them in the oven and puré them as part of another vegetable soup ingredient, it seems that they add a certain creaminess to the soup. I will try this recipe — it’s so hearty for these crazy cold winter days.

What a beautiful, colourful, appetising dish! I can smell the mixture of orange zest and ginger aromas from here! Such a pity I don’t have time to go and buy some beef! I have never had beef with orange sauce, but somehow I am certain it would be a hit! I must try this recipe one day.
    Have you seen Charles’s parsnip crisps recipe? I think it’s parsnip season :-)

Nothing like a good stew to “warm the cockles” on a cold day – believe me, I get equally excited by parsnips… especially here since I hardly ever see them. Sight of them is often greeted by me, shrieking “Oh my God… PARSNIPS!”, and rushing over, bashing little old ladies and small toddlers out of the way. I love the flavour of them and agree that no good stew worth its salt should be without them!

I was wondering – everywhere I see, when people use bay leaves, they always mention removing them before serving. Is that purely to prevent people accidentally eating them? I know it’s a stupid question, but we always used to play “who gets the bay leaf” in my house when I was a kid… Seems it’s not such a common “game” :D

I don’t think the ‘who gets the bay leaf’ game has made it to our shores yet Charles ;-). Though it does sound fun – maybe I should get it started! I have been entirely neglectful of parsnips, and am so happy to have finally found my way :) so tasty! (pushing old ladies out of the way, funny man…).

Kelly, what a beautiful stew! I think rainbow carrots are beautiful but I haven’t been lucky enough to find them lately! And I am embarrassed to tell you I’ve never had a parsnip! I don’t know why…because I LOVE carrots and sweet potatoes! I think what makes this stew special, too, is the lovely addition of orange and zest….and ginger! This is not your average, run of the mill stew! And you’ve got me wanting to try this for so many reasons. I wonder, after braising the meat….do you think you could make this in a crockpot….or do you think it would not turn out as well?

I just bought some parsnips for the first time too! Perfect timing! This stew is very colorful and flavorful! I bet the aroma in your home smelled amazing!

11. ping kay says

Hello Kelly. I came over from Charles’ blog. I’m happy I did! This is an amazing looking stew and parsnips! OMG! I love them to bits and they’re horrendously expensive here but … who cares. Whenever I see them, I just need to get me a bunch and roast them. I read your comment about wanting to make some oven baked crisps out of them and am eagerly awaiting that … not a great fan of deep frying.

12. Eliotseats says

I’m posting a beef stew at the end of the week and I just saw another posted at Lizzy’s site. I love that this is oven-roasted.

Kelly this sounds delicious and I can only imagine how the flavors of this must have developed the next day. The colors look so rich and I’m sure that translates into flavor too!

Oh Kelly, this stew looks very, very comforting and I’d love to have a big bowl of this. It’s interesting how you cooked this stew in oven. I want to try this recipe and cook in oven. I always cook stew on the stove. Love the sweet potato addition in the stew, which is my favorite part besides orange/ginger flavor in there. I can eat this for dinner, next day lunch and dinner again. ;-)

You know, I find chicken thighs enormously juicy and resilient – they always come out well in the crockpot – you could certainly give them a try – I bet they’d be great.

I made a variation of this stew last night and we all had the shivers eating it because it was a really chilly night and we were getting all warm inside from it :)

Hi Mandy, it reminds me of the flavours in the Chinese classic crispy orange, ginger beef but without the deep frying ;-)

I know, I know, too funny… and my follow-up was going to be parsnip chips!! (we’ve agreed I should go forward anyway since mine are oven baked ;-) – hope you’re having a great day Eva!

Thanks so much Sissi ~ too funny about Charles and I and the parsnip love. I mean, who’d have thunk it? ;-)

Thanks Caroline – You know, they’re some of my favourite pictures too… it’s not always easy making stew look attractive ;-) I hope I managed ok. Cheers.

I was particularly happy to see that the carrots were local – the farmers store them through the winter months. Orange and ginger is a winning combination for sure. You know, I normally do this kind of thing in the crockpot but wanted to illustrate an oven roasted version. I’m almost certain you would get the same results in your slow cooker – hard to miss. I hope you enjoy it Anne and thank you for your comments.

Greetings Ping! Thank you so much for dropping by from Charles’ blog. What are the chances of the two of us posting a ‘parsnip’ recipe – of all things – at the same time!? I had no idea there was so much love out there for parsnips. I’m delighted I’m not alone. I hope to have my oven baked version up in the next little while… stay tuned and thanks again for saying hello :)

I particularly love the simplicity of this one… so low maintenance and virtually guaranteed results :) Thanks Junia!

Hello France! I have to say, this is one tasty meal… and yes, the left-overs are a delight! Thanks :)

Thanks so much Nami – this stew has turned in to a bit of a classic in our home due to its appeal and simplicity. The fun part too is that you can vary the contents and spices as you please to create a new version each time! I hope you’re having a great day Nami; thanks for dropping by :)

I totally agree – I don’t think parsnips get the play they deserve. Love the use of sweet potatoes with it and the orange sounds like an unexpected but welcome note. Yum

27. Linda says

Parsnips again…you’re really making me want to pick up some!! Love that this cooked in the oven and the orange sounds like it would really brighten the stew.