Strawberry Vanilla Tie-Dye Yogurt Popsicles

With strawberry season at its peak of freshness in Ontario and the sweltering heat still upon us (note: that’s not a complaint – savvy Canadians know better than to complain about the heat), I thought you would enjoy these delicious and wonderfully refreshing popsicles.

And not just a pretty face, either.

These hydrating popsicles pack a serious protein punch thanks to the Greek yogurt content as well as a host of nutrients courtesy of the brilliant red summer gems.  Strawberries deliver hefty amounts of folate, vitamin C and potassium (in fact, just one cup of strawberries supplies over a day’s worth of vitamin C), as well as solid amounts of fibre and manganese.

Together, these nutrients elevate these groovy pops from the dessert category into the snack category without sacrificing flavour.

And could they be any simpler…

Strawberry Vanilla Tie-Dye Yogurt Popsicles

• 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed
  • 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp honey (agave or pure maple syrup)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla essence

————-

Makes 6-8 popsicles

Add strawberries and 1 Tbsp honey to blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.

In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, vanilla and remaining honey.

Spoon strawberry and yogurt mixtures alternately into popsicle moulds, filling moulds to the top (there should be two layers of each mixture).

Tap moulds down gently on the counter to avoid air pockets and ensure that the mixture is well settled into the moulds.

Using a wooden skewer, swirl the mixture inside each of the moulds to create a tie-dye effect.

Place popsicle sticks inside each mould and allow popsicles to freeze for about 3 hours.
Remove popsicles from freezer at least 10 minutes before serving, allowing them to sit out on the counter at room temperature.  (If the popsicles have been sitting in the freezer for more than 3 hours they may need more time to soften from the deep-freeze).
Run popsicle moulds under hot water for a few seconds while gently tugging on popsicle sticks to unmould.
If you find the popsicles too hard to eat, simply allow them to sit out at room temperature for a few more minutes before enjoying.
They didn’t last very long…

Comments

1. Themomchef says

They look amazing. I’m loving all the creamy Popsicles I’m seeing this summer. Our strawberries are long done, but I bet this would be fantastic with blueberries or raspberries too. Thanks for sharing.

Such gorgeous, cooling popsicles are exactly what I would love to have in my fridge when it gets really hot (on the other hand the recent days have been rather cold here, but it’s a nice summer cold ;-) ).
    I love all the “disappearing popsicles” photos!
    You have reminded me once more I haven’t bought Greek yogurt yet…

3. Adora Ding says

These are just delicious, healthy and refreshing. Strawberries are one of my favourite fruits and eat tons of them when in season. I prefer yoghurt in frozen treats because it is more refreshing. With the tie-dye effect, these pops are such winners!

My resident hippie (who owns a series of tie-dye shirts he’s very proud of wearing) would love one of these! I placed a set of ice cream popsicle thingie from amazon.com on my wish list, but so far I resisted buying it, as even my ice cream machine I haven’t been using often enough…

but popsicles look so cute!

5. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says

Oh how I am missing summer right now. These look scrumptious Kelly! Can’t wait for strawberry season to roll around here again.
    :-) Mandy

6. Debra Eliot says

Those are beautiful. I love all the popsicles I’m seeing. The idea of Greek yogurt is fantastic, and ditto on using blueberries or raspberries, or dare I say it, peaches. :)

These look super cool, Kelly! I love the tie dye effect. Did you find the yogurt froze creamy or solid and had to wait to get your teeth into it? I did a frozen yogurt on the weekend and it froze rock hard. But a few minutes at room temperature warmed it up enough to be malleable.

I’ve got to get me some popsicle molds! I love these popsicles with the alternating bites of strawberries and then creamy yogurt! They make a pretty little snack a:) So good!

Mmmm creamy strawberry popsicles! These look sooo yummy. Oh Kelly, I have so many recipes on my ‘to-make’ list from your site. I don’t know where to start!!

10. Jeanette Chen says

Kelly, love the tie-dye look of these refreshing popsicles. It’s been so hot out lately, I need to make a batch of these for my kids.

Hi Kelly, can it still be called a popsicle if it looks *awesome*? I always (probably wrongly) associate the word popsicle with those obnoxious articificially coloured and flavoured “fruit” things for kids, but these ones are wonderful – all natural and tasty and great for adults too! I just need myself some popsicle moulds now :)

12. Geraldine Saucier says

These popsicles look fantastic:) A great treat for a hot summer day. I will be making them soon. Thanks for the great post!

13. Amy @ Elephant Eats says

Oh my gosh these sound so gooooood!!! That tart frozen yogurt is all the rage in the US, although I dunno about in Canada. Love the flavors here! Now where did I put my popsicle mold!

Thanks so much for stopping by Adora; I’m glad you like the contents and I can attest to their deliciousness! :)

Yes, the trick is to keep them out at room temperature for 10 minutes or so before enjoying… I don’t find it much of an inconvenience though – for the taste and healthy contents, well worth it! ;-)

They seem to have some tie-dye action going on so I thought I could get away with the title – fun indeed! thanks Reem :)

Hi Geraldine, thank you for taking the time to drop a note – love seeing new names/faces at Inspired Edibles!

Funny you should mention that, I’m loving the tart yogurts but haven’t been aware of any trends in Canada… just an instinctive thing maybe this time of year ;-)

Thank you so much Lindsey – I appreciate you dropping by – always nice to greet new people at Inspired Edibles. Have a great day! :)

A nice summer cold? Nonsense! I like it hot, hot, hot!! :-)

They disappeared pretty darn quick ;-) Cheers Sissi.

21. ping kay says

Congrats on getting Top9!!
    Sorry I took so long to come by. I’ve been away, far enough to forget my diet :)
    These are lovely! Tie-dye is such a great name for them! I have some frozen strawberry puree that could come in useful :D

22. Beyondthepeel says

omg those look yummy. After a stretch of 30 degree weather I’m dreaming of popsicles. I love how I can feel good about all these ingredients. Thanks Kelly.

23. The Café Sucré Farine says

These are gorgeous, Kelly, they almost look like they should be a piece of art work!