Baked Oranges in Vanilla Rum Cream

I feel compelled to share that I am utterly in love with this song.

That said, this recipe came about quite by accident one evening in Montreal.

I had been chatting with a colleague about my dream of baked oranges in syrup (yup, I pretty much think about food all the time). Anyhow, I got back to my apartment that evening and started experimenting with this idea and before I knew it, rum and cream mischievously snuck in to the picture as well.  And happily so.

This is a simple but sophisticated dessert with a creamy warmth and depth of flavour that will have you and your guests swooning.  It’s also different from anything I’ve experienced before, so I hope you enjoy it’s uniqueness too.
Although much of the alcohol burns off during the cooking process (though not the taste), a non-alcohol version is also delicious.  You can simply omit the rum and enjoy as is or consider adding one or two star anise during the baking process.  Simply remove the star anise before serving.  All else remains the same.

Baked Oranges in Vanilla Rum Cream

• 3 large seedless navel oranges, peeled and sliced into bite size pieces
  • 1/4 cup orange juice (dilute not from concentrate)
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp demerara sugar (substitute brown sugar)
  • 2 vanilla beans (substitute 2 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 ounces of rum
  • 1/2 cup 10% cream (half and half cream)
Serves 4
———————
Heat oven to 400 F.
When removing the rind from the oranges, try to retain as much of the pith (the white part under the rind) as possible.  The pith is full of nutrients but is often cut away, which is a shame.
Place orange segments in an oven safe dish.  Pour rum over oranges and then drizzle with 1 Tbsp of maple syrup and sprinkle with 1 tsp of cinnamon.  Cut vanilla beans in half and place pieces in dish.
Mix all ingredients together and tuck vanilla bean pieces under oranges before placing dish in oven.
Bake for 20 minutes (it will smell delightful).
Remove dish from oven.   Remove vanilla bean pieces from dish.  Using a dull knife, run the blade along the pod to release the tiny black vanilla seeds (like a paste) from the open end of the bean and add this paste to the dish, mixing around with oranges.  Sprinkle oranges with demerara or brown sugar and return to oven for 3 minutes.
Remove dish from oven and divide orange mixture among 4 serving dishes.  Add 1/8 cup of cream to each dish.  Drizzle each dish with 1 tsp maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Top with some orange zest as desired.

Comments

Kelly, it sounds luscious! Simple, but sophisticated desserts is what I prefer and I think I have never made anything sweet with oranges… (By the way, I also think about food all the time)
    I didn’t know you liked Britney Spears ;-)

This is the first time I’ve ever seen oranges baked and I’m absolutely in love with the idea. Add some cream and rum to it and it’s a boozed creamsicle. Heavenly. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

3. Sweetcarolinescooking says

Vanilla.rum.cream? Errr Kelly, that’s just sinful. I’d like some right now! This looks awesome. And I’m equally obsessed with Adele. Her voice is unreal.

4. Jeanette Chen says

Don’t you just love it when you start experimenting and before you know it, you end up with a dreamy dessert like this one – lovely!

5. Viviane Bauquet Farre says

Wow – the flavors aren’t kidding around! I’ll bet this tastes remarkable but light and relaxing after a big meal. Wondrous!

6. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

I have never even thought about baking oranges! This looks fantastic, especially that cream!

First of all…I feel compelled to tell you that I love Adele, and THAT song in particular! So I enjoyed listening again! And this dish is just beautiful, unique and inspiring. I love all the flavors you experimented with…and they came together so beautifully. I enjoy oranges all winter long….but warm and spiced with cream…is going to be just heavenly!

8. Purecomplexblog says

I’ve never baked oranges before… but I absolutely adore vanilla. So I just may love these Baked Oranges in this Vanilla Rum Cream. This is such a unique recipe.. love it

I love that song too Kelly! Adele’s voice is just amazing. I seem to have seasonal taste in music and this one suits my fall playlist. :) I’ve never tried baked oranges before, but they sound really good – especially with vanilla, cream and rum. Delicious! You are so creative Kelly, I love it!

10. Shauna says

This warm creamsicle will be waiting for my hockey players when they come home tonight! After prepping for the game with banana PB muffins… hmm, you’re infiltrating my recipe box!

11. Linda says

I too am always thinking about food! I guess that why we are on here typing up these blogs! I get excited when I find something that sparks my imagination to create a dish at home. I can imagine your kitchen smelled so good! I hope you saved your vanilla bean and stuck it in your sugar bowl – that would make an awesome citrus vanilla sugar!

12. Lisa@ Smart Food and Fit says

I agree with you and Linda, always thinking about food and wanting to share not only the recipe but the experience. Oranges and vanilla with the rum sound amazing especially this time of year. I bet this will go great with my pumpkin carrot cake that I make, I’ll add an orange glaze but think I’ll try your orange cream!

13. My Inner Chick says

–Kelly,
    This is why your blog is FABULOUS…because you share your experience & LOVE w/ your readers. Love your creativity, but especially YOU :)

My Inner Chick

14. Lbergeron says

Thanks for this great recipe…now I know what to serve as dessert at my next dinner party! Simple yet fancy, I combo I love!
    Thanks
    Lynn

15. Eva says

Kelly, this recipe is perfect timing. I just brought home a tonne of fruit from a photoshoot we had at work…I have about 10 navel oranges! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Adele breaks my heart and inspires me into one huge ball of emotion every time I find myself belting out that entire album – great baking music, too! This recipe is truly gorgeous, Kelly. Vanilla rum cream are three very exciting words!

Thanks so much Christiane – I’m not sure I’ve come across them very often either. They are unusual and yet, easy to prepare and, I think, delicious.

sucanat, turbinado, demerara, muscavado, rapadura, … are all less refined options from the sugar cane. The biggest differences come in with respect to texture – so you can experiment and see what your personal preferences are depending on the recipe.

Oh, Ann, thank you on all counts! Yes, you can absolutely omit the cinnamon – if you do enjoy cardamom or nutmeg, you can try or just leave without.

I know exactly what you mean about seasonal music. That songs works in beautiful with the rain, cold and darkness (oh dear… there I go again donning my Irish garments…ha-ha!). I do find this ‘transitional’ weather a bit… tough on the soul though.

ha-ha! Thanks Shauna – happy to be infiltrating! Hope your boys enjoyed (and that you went easy on the booze for them :) hee-hee….

Yes, there’s something about maple and orange (and cream and rum – hee-hee) that are rather yummy…! Thanks France.

Haha, I love that I could recognise it was Paris within literally the first second of the song. I haven’t lived in other cities before (except a small one in England). Of course I’ve visited many places, but I don’t think I could recognise other places after just a few seconds. Are other cities so distinctive do you find?

Beautiful looking recipe – I’ve never tried such a thing. Baked apples, absolutely, but this looks really nice. I bet it really enriches the orange flavour and the vanilla rum cream? Mmmm!

24. Kelly says

so, here’s the thing. I’m very physical environment unaware. For example, I could work in an office at a particular address for 5 years but still not be able to tell you what buildings are on either side of mine. When I bring my car into the shop and they ask me what kind of car I drive, I actually have to stop and think about it. This used to concern me. A lot. But with age comes acceptance :0. I could tell you what any person in a room is feeling at any given time but physical environment? not the head space I occupy.

And here’s something else: I made your mud pie/cake for the 7th time tonight. I must post a version and dedicate it to YOU!! We absolutely love it.

hehe i am usually taking my photos during daylight (either in the morning or late afternoon). its either outside in the shade OR inside by a windowsill. i actually don’t know much about using my DSLR. just know how to point and shoot, make something look pretty. LOL. i want to learn about aperature, shutter speed and all that stuff!

we are on the same wave… just received my new camera this weekend. it is the first time i am working with something that is not point and shoot. i have so much to learn as well… particularly interested in depth of field -hopefully it will be a fun new adventure.