Slow-Roasted Red Peppers in Balsamic Garlic Glaze

The fields are harvested and bare,
And Winter whistles through the square.
October dresses in flame and gold
Like a woman afraid of growing old.
Anne Mary Lawler
—–
My sister greeted us with these savoury delights when we visited her in the Canadian Rockies for a ski holiday.
She served them naked, right out of the pan.  I’m glad I experienced them this way, undressed, for the first time.  They are stand alone stars that don’t need to be bettered.  (And a foodie’s tendency is to always try and better).
Full of bold, gorgeous flavours and chewy garlic bites, you can serve these roasted red peppers as appetizers in the raw (my favourite), as a side, or incorporated into a main dish.

Slow-Roasted Red Peppers in Balsamic Garlic Glaze
  • 3 red peppers, sliced into generous bite-size pieces
  • 6 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • Sea salt & cracked pepper
————————-
Heat oven to 300 F
In a small bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce.
Meanwhile, place sliced peppers in an oven proof dish.  Sprinkle with garlic slices and top with well whisked balsamic glaze.  Add a sprinkle of sea salt and cracked pepper.

Roast peppers for 1 hour, turning on occasion.  Turn oven up to 375 and roast for another 10 minutes or until peppers are sizzling and just beginning to char.  Remove peppers from oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving warm.

Comments

1. Viviane Bauquet Farre says

Kelly, what a wonderful melange of flavors. The presentation is also very exciting – small portions inspire guests to savor the moment. Brava!

2. Sweetcarolinescooking says

These peppers sound lovely. I love the little ceramic spoons you served them in. I need to invest in some of those!

3. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

This looks so pretty! I love roasted peppers and that balsamic garlic glaze sounds so tasty!!

Those are SO awesome! I’m a fan of roasted peppers and make them often served with olive oil and sea salt, but adding balsamic give is a whole new dimension….I am pumped! GOTTA TRY THESE!

Some things are hard to improve upon, but I think you’ve done it here with this recipe. Roasted bell pepper are the ultimate food and to add garlic and balsamic – elegant and delicious.

6. Purecomplexblog says

I just adore red peppers.. I truly believe my mother will love these Peppers in this Balsamic Garlic Glaze. Very nice.

Kelly, I would like to devour the recipe name alone, not to mention the content of these cute spoons. The abundance of garlic makes it perfect!

Beautiful – I have a real weakness for peppers. I bought a jar of roasted peppers to put in salads, sandwiches etc… most of them ended up going straight from the jar to my mouth, lol :D

Love the idea of serving them alone like this – a very enticing “amuse-bouche” I should think!

9. Lmg5750 says

Lovely…and I like the spoon presentation (I have those too!) I make these pretty much the exact same way and keep them on hand for tossing in salads and especially on an antipasta platter. If not eaten right away, they hold up great for the week – I believe its the balsamic vinegar that “preserves” them well!!

10. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says

Kudos to your sister on perfect taste explosion morsels. Love simplicity like this that explodes with flavour – and so beautifully presented.
    Have a super weekend.
    :-) Mandy

I love those little serving spoons! Gorgeous! And you know I have an affinity for red peppers and balsamic. Your sister is a genius! ;) The garlic looks fabulous too. Mmmmm!

I agree – I’m glad I got to experience these in the raw the first time – without add-on such as cheese or nuts, etc. – because they are wonderfully robust on their own.

Roasted peppers have such a unique taste don’t they. And talk about a snap to make. You just pop them in the oven and your pretty much done :)

Ann, thank you so much for your generous comment and the stumble! (I have to become more nibble on stumble upon – yet another project!)

hee-hee, thanks Sissi. I too love garlic… in just about everything… I remember one time having a girlfriend over for lunch – I had prepared a salad with, apparently, copious amounts of garlic. She had to break it to me gently, that it was just a bit too much garlic love – LOL. I didn’t realize I was over-using :0)

love it! I find they taste really different from the jar (at least the ones that I’ve had) and the home baked ones are so easy to toss together. Definitely worth it. And that’s exactly the term I was thinking with these… amuse-bouche indeed! Have a good weekend Charles. Look forward to checking you out on Monday!

well, you’re probably right. Salt is certainly a preserving agent and vinegars often have sodium added. The peppers are great in just about everything – aren’t they?

Ah, that’s the perfect description for these – explosive! – quite right. Thanks Mandy – I hope you have a great weekend too!

Thanks Kristy. The spoons are fun, thanks. My sis is a warm, loving, phenomenally *kind*, genius indeed! (geez, and I’m not even looking to borrow anything from her cupboard, I must mean it – ha-ha!!). Have a great weekend – I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Angie – I’ve been particularly enjoying a fig balsamic vinegar lately – such gorgeous earthy flavours – perfect for fall!

I think simple is often best! But these would be good in so many other things as well – on a sandwich, a pizza, with chicken or steak…

Kelly….how simple, beautiful and delicious! I love the natural sweetness you get from roasting both peppers and tomatoes….though I love the tang the balsamic vinegar lends. Your presentation is so pretty (though you’d need more spoons if I were coming over!)

23. Eva Kitcheninspirations says

What gorgeous presentation, Kelly. I have a couple of dozen of the chinese soup spoons too! I just love them. The slow roasted peppers are gorgeous. Do you think the skins could be peeled off, like we do with grilling them? I am not a huge skin fan, so I just wondered. You really cannot go wrong with the balsamic glaze. Love this!

24. Eliotseats says

I am imagining these in a veggie sandwich or on a pizza or on an antipasto platter or in an omelet or, as your sister served them, right out of the pan. What a great recipe!

Oh my gosh – I don’t even need to know anything more other than the title of this recipe to know it’s going to be delicious. I love this idea, I would use it on everything. Me = huge garlic, pepper and balsamic fan

26. Jeanette Chen says

I love the simplicity of these roasted red peppers. With good fresh ingredients, they are often best enjoyed with the fewest of ingredients.

Thanks Veronica – they work well in many forms – on their own or in salads, sandwiches – and – lasagna! :)

I think you can peel them off once the pepper is roasted (I have come across a few recipes that call for this in making roasted red pepper soup) – to try and do it before roasting would be really difficult.