Rosemary Honey Dijon Glazed Salmon ~ an easy, breezy, summer delight

I drifted into a summer nap under the hot shade of July,
serenaded by a cicadae lullaby,
to drowsy-warm dreams of distant thunder
~ Terri Guillemets

———————–
We are into the long, dreamy, delicious days of summer.  The heat is heavy, the days are long and the overwhelming desire is to kick back, relax and ring every ounce of enjoyment out of this gorgeous, fleeting season.

Well that’s my desire anyway.

One of my favourite ways to free up time in the summer is to keep our food preparation as simple as possible.  A few key, fresh ingredients and you can pull together a delightful, hassle free meal in no time at all.

This recipe is a good example.  It is heartbreakingly simple and possibly one of the tastiest salmon preparations I know.  The result is melt-in-your-mouth tenderness with the flavours of rosemary honey dijon carried on every bite.

I like cooking fish on the grill to keep the heat out of the house but you can just as easily prepare these fillets in the oven.  Either way, the preparation and cooking time will amount to a big fifteen minutes…
And who doesn’t appreciate the ease and simplicity of a fifteen minute meal in the summertime (or anytime!).
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Glazed salmon prepped for the grill with a simple side of zucchini salad
sliced into ribbons with a mandoline

Rosemary Honey Dijon Glazed Salmon ~ an easy, breezy, summer delight
  • 4 salmon fillets
  • 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard (about 2 Tbsp per fillet)
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/3 cup fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dry rosemary)
———————

I use salmon frequently for its taste and outstanding health properties, but you could use this glaze on any fish (or poultry for that matter).

Serves 4

Warm grill to medium-high or preheat oven to 400 F.
Skin salmon fillets on one side if not already removed.
Place dijon, honey and 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dry rosemary) in a small bowl and mix until combined.
Lay fillets out on a flat surface to transport out onto the grill or on a foil lined cooking sheet for the oven.
Simply brush the tops of the salmon fillets with the rosemary honey dijon mixture, making sure to coat each piece thoroughly.
For the grill, lower temperature to minimum before placing salmon, skin side down, on the grill.  Close lid and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes or until fish is just done on the exterior while still pink inside.
For the oven, cook salmon fillets uncovered on baking tray for 10 minutes or just until fish is done on the exterior while still pink inside.
Add remaining loose pieces of fresh rosemary on top of fillets before serving.

Melt-in-your-mouth delicious
————–
If it could only be like this always – always summer…
~ Evelyn Waugh

Comments

1. Eva says

So that’s what you’ve been up to, Kelly. I’m envious, but will be heading up to our cottage on the civic long weekend. I’ve hot a salmon recipe bookmarked for Wednesday’s lunches, so I’ll save this one for another time. We eat salmon a lot too, lovely fish.

Cooked to perfection. Everyone loves 15 minute meals and when they are so beautifully presented who can resist.Looks like dining at your house is not only simple and delicious but quite elegant Kelly!

Melt, melt, melt my heart with those photos… all of them!

We eat salmon once a week, rain or shine, no matter the temp outside, the time of the year – our favorite type of fish

followed by steelhead trout, which looks quite similar anyway ;-)

Great recipe….

Ahhhh, I loooooove your photos, Kelly. Do you have 2 boys, too?
    Your golden retriever looks so relaxed and dreamy. He is gorgeous.
    I also love the quote on the top of your page….
    btw. salmon is my fave. fish!
    Xx Kisses from Minnesota.

5. Amy @ Elephant Eats says

OMG, so jealous of your lake house! What gorgeous views…and what a cute puppy!

The salmon is cooked to perfection…so flaky. Great, simple recipe. Glad you’re enjoying your summer :)

6. ping kay says

It’s forever summer here. I’ll be glad to swap places with you :)
    I love this easy fish dish. I’m all for easy these couple of weeks. It could get permanent :)
    Haven’t had salmon for a while. It is time!

7. Eha says

Beautiful simple food, even more beautiful surroundings and happy family in holiday mode . . . Love the view of the lake thru’ the trees and wish I could give a certain big pup a big pat . . .

8. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says

Heaven on a plate! Perfect meal! Enjoy the summer days, I am looking forward to when I can enjoy summer days again too.
    :-) Mandy

Such an easy, but I’m sure exceptionally good way to prepare salmon. As you say, ideal for lazy hot summer days. I find mustard such a miraculous ingredient and when it’s grainy it adds a little crunchy side too. I have never tasted rosemary with fish though… Only with lamb. As usually there is something new I learn here.
    I love the summer photos… I wish I could go to the seaside and spend all day on the beach.

I will be in the city during the civic weekend ;( for a soccer tourney… I hope you have glorious weather that weekend Eva – your beach front with the beautiful exposed rock reminds me very much of ours. I hope you’re having a fun birthday week!

Thank you for your kind words France ~ simple elegance maybe – ;-). I hope you and Joshua are having a fabulous summer and that’s it’s warmed up a note in the West!

Aww, thank you Sally! My Golden Girl is pretty awesome, isn’t she… she breaks my heart for sure. I think I eat salmon more during the warm months – I can’t get over how light it is – so easy to work through yet so packed with protein and natural fats.

A relaxed Golden Retriever?!!

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!

Oh, I mean, why yes, she is so calm, composed and poised, isn’t she? ;-)

Two boys indeed. We are blessed.

Hi Yudith – you won’t believe I was just admiring your photo (beautiful family shot) on another site yesterday, and here you are! Thank you so much for visiting and I’m with you, summer = water, splash, kids, doggies & fun! :)

I have to track back to see where you are situated Ping and lucky enough to have summer every day… would that still feel like summer? Many a poet has opined on same…you need winter to ‘feel’ summer – thoughts? :)

Haha, thanks Mandy – I wish I could say I was looking forward to winter but,…., well, I’m not ;-)

Mustard is a miraculous ingredient, isn’t it – it sure appears often in our sauces, vinaigrettes and toppings. Under the broiler this glaze does get crispy, crunchy – fabulous! Just can’t bring myself to turn on the oven while the air conditioner is blowing full tilt you know ;-). Thanks Sissi – water side is pretty darn nice this time of year; I agree :).

Kelly I want your cabin. I want to be laying on that mattress in the lake. Tres jealous…let me tell you!

This salmon look great. I know whole foods is having a big sale on salmon in a few days…I’d love to grab some and make this dish, with it’s simple, beautiful flavours. This is a perfect summer meal, and I love the quotes that you’ve used.

19. Lbergeron says

Hi Kelly
    Never mind the recipe, what fantastic pics! I am sure you will savour every moment you get by your peaceful & beautiful haven!
    Oh and yes, the recipe does look delish. I have salmon on our grill tonight!
    Lynn

I have to say I prefer (rainbow) trout, but I notice on your fishy business page that you mention that as being very good too, like Salmon, I needn’t feel naughty swapping it in place of the salmon. The glaze sounds really nice – I never tried such one on fish before… only on chicken so I’m really curious how it would marry with the fish flavours.

21. tman says

gorgeous pictures! i would love to try this recipe out. would you mind telling me what brands you used for the 3 ingredients?

Looks like you are definitely having a relaxing summer! Love the simple salmon recipe! We always grill salmon even in the winter if we can find it. It’s the only way to go. I’ve never used rosemary with salmon, and it sounds and looks delicious!

This does look like heaven Kelly! I love the raft shot. That just screams childhood summertime to me. I can just picture it…almost smell it in fact. :) And this salmon is also perfection. I have all the ingredients on hand…Guess what I’m making next week for salmon night. YUM!

24. justonecookbook says

Very nice recipe Kelly! We’ll be having this for sure this summer. Like you said, it’s the best cooking outside (and I don’t have to be in the kitchen for too long!). Sounds like a nice warm weather there… and beautiful lake!! SF is going to be 80F this weekend but usually around 60-70F. We need nice warm summer~. Have a great weekend!