Homemade Orange Creamsicle Popsicles ~ All Natural, Vegan

Well, I have to agree with my son on this one.  These may be the tastiest popsicles I’ve made to date.
He didn’t quite put it that way though.
In fact, he said it precisely like this: “Wow, Mom, these actually taste like popsicles.”  In teenage parlance I knew exactly what he meant.  I finally managed to create an all natural popsicle that wasn’t rock hard and entirely devoid of flavor.
This is the same teenage son who, upon sampling one of my first versions of low sugar cookies, chose to break it to me gently this way: “Oh Mom, you don’t know what you’re up against.”
He said it with such a calm assuredness and sincerity that it had me laughing tears. We both knew he was right of course and he managed to synthesize the battle of the century into one simple sentence.  (He can be infuriatingly smart that way).

I still find myself laughing about his comment at the strangest times – in the middle of the night, driving my car, brushing my teeth.  It reminds me of all the times I almost certainly embarrassed my boys in their younger years by insisting on real food and refusing to buckle under pressure.  Handing out apple baskets instead of loot bags at their birthday parties, making fresh fruit birthday cakes, sending them off with veggie platters to school parties and the coup de grace, introducing a healthy lunch program at their elementary school (let’s just say it didn’t have the same momentum as pizza day).  Yup, moms can be downright distressing at times. Ah well, better to stand for something, right?  Besides, it builds character and there are plenty of those around here.

Homemade Orange Creamsicle Popsicles

Homemade Orange Creamsicle Popsicles ~ All Natural, Vegan
  • 1 cup (250 mL) fresh squeezed orange juice (or any quality mixed orange juice)
  • 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) orange zest (I also like adding small chunks of fresh orange pulp)
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract

Makes approximately 4 half cup (125 mL) popsicles

• The combination of orange and coconut is positively swoon-worthy. The lime adds a note of tartness while the zest/pulp emphasize the delicious and refreshing orange.
  • I used coconut milk here not only because it’s a dairy free alternative that happens to taste delicious but also for its health properties. Although most of the fat in coconut milk is saturated fat, this plant based saturated fat is made up of a unique blend of medium-chain fatty acids (most fats in our diet are long-chain fatty acids) which appear to have a positive effect on cholesterol levels, notably raising HDL (good) cholesterol.  These same medium-chain fats also appear to increase calorie burning in the body through their action of direct delivery to the liver for energy.

1.     Simply mix ingredients together, by hand or in a blender/food processor, and pour into individual popsicles molds.
2.     Add a popsicle stick in the center of the mold and place in freezer for approximately 3 hours.
3.     Remove popsicles from freezer 5 or 10 minutes before serving.  Run exterior of popsicle molds under hot water for a few seconds and then gently pull on popsicle stick to release popsicle from mold.
    © Inspired Edibles

Print this recipe card

dreamy summer goodness
    Fill an ice cube tray (or two) with any remaining popsicle mixture
    and enjoy orange-coconut infused water for days ~
    A Brilliant Happy Hour by the Lake
    Celebrating 10 years of Cottage Living & 17 Years of Marriage!
    (my prince charming taking the photo)
    our bathing beauty and constant companion

It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on FacebookPrint this pageShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Comments

Happy anniversary to you too Kelly!!!! Gorgeous photo of you by the lake. :) I’m sure you made your prince charming’s heart go pitter patter. I love the color on these photos you took. They are just stunning. And the comment by your son is priceless. Absolutely priceless. He didn’t even say it to me, and I think it will stick to me. What a great phrase for nearly anything that’s challenging…especially knowing you’re going to prevail like you did with these beauties. Love them! Hope you’re enjoying your time at the lake!

I had to come back… the first time I saw your post I did not notice your photo, somehow my computer froze and jumped to the last one of your bathing beauty…

well, you look stunning! That photo needs to be framed… is your beloved a professional photographer? If he is not, he should consider… what a great shot!

Congrats on your wedding anniversary!!!!

3. Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel says

What a beautiful post!!! I love all the pictures and listening to you talk about your boys made me smile from ear to ear. I can’t wait until my little guys start talking and having conversations with me. I can only imagine the crazy things they will think about me!

These popsicles sound amazing and I love your idea to freeze the extra into ice cubes to make drinks…genius! What I would give to be sitting next to you with a drink on the lake :) Cheers!!!! Enjoy every moment :)

4. beyondthepeel says

Love this idea. With the 30 degree weather we’re having it’s most definitely popsicle weather. I could use one of these right now! Just goes to show we don’t need all the junk to make an amazing tasting treat. Happy anniversary darling!

5. Eliotseats says

Wow, I don’t know if I want that water more or a popsicle! I have a similar strawberry dreamsicle that I am posting sometime next week. It is the time for pops. You should link this up with girlichef.

6. Eva Taylor says

Happy Anniversary Kelly, that photo of you is just gorgeous! Kids do indeed say the darnedest things don’t they? A few years ago my brothers kids were at our place having dinner and my 7 year old (at that time) niece says “auntie Eva, why is it that you and your boyfriend (she didn’t understand that you can be married without kids) don’t fight?” and before I could even think of an answer, Jack pipes up and says “Annie, it’s because they don’t have kids!” I still giggle at that comment and like you, often in the strangest place.

These creamsicles sound absolutely fantastic, I really love coconut and the combo with orange is wonderful. I love the mold you used too, very original. And I dare say that those napkins are quite lovely and go so nicely with the beautiful summer colours of your photos. ;-)

Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

7. Tracey salvadore says

Looks like a great recipe…my girls have been crazy about orange juice Popsicles that I make but this might be a nice change. Love all your great pictures. Tracey

8. Dan from Platter Talk says

Congrats to you on your anniversary! These popsicles are exactly what my boys and I were looking for, today. You can bet what we will be making very soon! Thanks for the wonderful post.

9. Emilie@TheCleverCarrot says

Aren’t kids just brutally honest? I laughed myself when I read your son’s comment! I can totally relate :)

I think this popsicle combination is out of this world!!! I loved orange creamsicles when I was a kid and I’m obsessed with coconut now. Match made in heaven. And you photos & styling are just lovely- what`gorgeous colors (I couldn’t stop staring at that luminous orange)!! I’m adding this one to the list.

Happy anniversary to you and your husband! I think Sandra and I are going to crash the party and have a cocktail with you by the lake! xoxo

10. Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel says

Woo hooo!!! Road trip with The Clever Carrot…I’m there!!! Pack the bathing suit ;)

Haha! I would love to have you girls at the lake — nothing like sharing some sunshine and girl power! :0)

Thanks Emilie! I would absolutely welcome a girl party at the lake — it’s too bad about the distance thing… mind you, we have friends across the lake from New Jersey — who knows, maybe you and that lovely Kitchen Apparel gal can hop a lift one of these days :)

Yes, my son has the honesty thing down…. heehee. I’m with you on the coconut wave…floating to heaven ;0)

Thanks so much for dropping in Dan — I hope you and your sons enjoy this one as much as my boys! Have a great holiday weekend.

The creamsicles are cute! Look great! LOVE the photos and presentation, too! The pup is so sweet! LOVE it when they are all water-logged! lol

Tracey!! How lovely to see you here – thanks so much for saying hello. I think your girls would leave these. Happy 4th of July Tracey – my newest ‘American/Canadian’ friend :)

Haha, your nephew’s comment is HILARIOUS (and quite possibly very true – LOL).

Thanks for all your kind words Eva — we had a great weekend and did see quite a bit of sun; a rarity this summer I’m afraid. The cedar forest seems to do the trick in terms of keeping the bugs away and we couldn’t be happier.

Must agree, those lovely blue napkins look delightful set against the orange — thank you for the great gifts sista! xo.

Hi Pixie! Healthy eating can be challenging for sure and so can staying on track — even those of us who dedicate our lives to it find that it’s a journey not a fixed destination. The important thing is just to keep working at it and getting past the tough days. Thanks so much for stopping by so that I could discover your work as well!

Thanks France! We had a memorable anniversary celebration — lots of rain, two gorgeous rainbows and some live music over the water! Hard to beat :)

What’s that mom? You can’t wait till your boys start having conversations with you? Are you sure about that?! (LOL). Just kidding of course! We have lots of fun together and I’m always learning amazing things from my boys. The lake is pretty darn wonderful — a lifelong dream for us for sure… we bought a beater and continue to work on it :)

Why thank you so much for your generous words Sally! The photo of me was taken with a cell phone but I will certainly pass along your lovely compliments to my husband. (I never bring my ‘real’ camera to the country — I’m such a klutz, knowing me, it would end up at the bottom of the lake! — along with all my sunglasses :).

Oh, he’s priceless alright :) (and, depending on how much sleep I’ve had, quite funny too!).

Thanks so much for your well wishes Kristy — we had a beautiful weekend! Hope you and family have a beautiful July 4th celebration – thinking of you! xo

Hi Jennifer, thanks so much for dropping by — I’m very happy to hear you like the pops and yes, the pup sure likes the water! (she in the drink pretty much all day :)

IO haven’t had a creamsicle in such a long time. This definitely reminds me of my childhood playing outside. Wonderful recipe

“Yup, moms can be downright distressing at times”
      Well… don’t forget us dads! You know, I’ve no doubt that some kids might “tut” and sigh and be all “omg, I just want CANDYYYYY” but if they’re anything like me they’ll grow up to realise you’ve done them a massive favour, instilling healthy eating habits which will stand them in good stead for their whole life.

The number of parents dishing out soda to their toddlers these days… jeez!

(and great looking popsicles too… I couldn’t for the life of me think how you’d got them so creamy looking, and then I saw you used “coconut milk” and I did a mental face-palm. I always forget that delicious elixir exists!).

Hi Kay! So nice to see you — orange creamsicles remind me of sunny, water drenched sprinkler days too! ;0) Happy 4th!

Hey Charles, happy to hear you feel so strongly about it. It’s not the kids though but the societal infrastructure surrounding our kids. Children only know what they live and sadly, junk food is supported and reinforced in every aspect of our society from schools, to hospitals to cheap food manufacturing. Standing against the current you feel the blow but yes, worth it indeed.

27. mjskit @mjskitchen.com says

Congratulations on your two celebrations! So envious of your cottage living! It’s always fun to read about your sons’ reactions, comments and brilliance. You have some pretty smart kids who know how to speak the truth in a very clever way. :) I’m glad you finally came up with a popsicle that was “worthy” so to speak and that looks and sounds delicious! Coconut milk – YUM! Love the pictures!

28. Sissi_Withaglass.com says

Kelly, you look gorgeous on this photo!!!! So beautiful and elegant! The drink makes the whole scene perfect.

OK, back to food ;-) Your story reminds me of the moment when I was a teenager and frozen pizzas started to appear in shops (yes, in Europe we are a bit late with fast and convenience food, at least in certain countries). I remember that it was a huuuuuuge exception when my mum would allow me to order a pizza or to buy a frozen one. Now that I think how awful ordered pizza or, worse, frozen one can be… I’m glad I was allowed to have it about… once a year no more ;-)

Your popsicles look so appetising and refreshing, I would love to have them now in my freezer (though if I had a choice, I would take your cocktail ;-) ). Happy Anniversary!

29. Jeanette Chen says

Such a pretty picture of you Kelly – love these all natural popsicles – perfect for today’s hot weather!