Strawberry Tuesdays: Orange-Strawberry Ginger Lime Shots

We recently had breakfast at a hotel restaurant in Toronto.  The food itself was unremarkable but, what we all loved, were the delicious fruit shots that greeted us at the door.

There were three different kinds of blended fruit with various herbs and spices lined up in shot glasses.  They were absolutely gorgeous, refreshing and a perfect way to start the day.

You can serve these nutrient-rich shots on Christmas morning (or any morning) before settling in for breakfast or between dinner courses to cleanse the palate – the presentation adds a touch of schmancy to any meal and is especially fun if you’re having guests over (simply store your blended fruit mixture in the fridge until serving time).

I’m also thinking that this antioxidant rich drink might be a most welcome way of giving our poor livers a break during our grand season of overeating.

Ginger contains natural anti-inflammatory properties.  When used fresh, it is particularly effective at improving digestion and calming nausea and indigestion – making it an ideal choice during the festive season.  Combined with the cleansing properties of lime and the vitamin C from the strawberries and citrus, this is one potent health tonic!

Orange-Strawberry Ginger Lime Shots
  • 1 450 gram basket of strawberries (16 oz/1 lb), remove green tops and slice
  • 4 Tbsp dilute orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 1 tsp agave nectar
————–
Makes about 20 ounces (2 1/2 cups) of liquid

Place all ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.  You can adjust thickness of drink by adding more liquids or berries, as desired.

Comments

Gorgeous- I was totally thinking that vodka would be a nice addition until your reminded me about giving my poor little holiday liver a break! I think I’ll go the antioxident route this time…

Yay for strawberry Tuesdays! They served some at Mr. N’s class party today and I instantly thought of you and the fact that it’s Tuesday!!!! These drinks look beyond delicious and will be gracing my table at Christmas breakfast!! The kids will love them and they’ll be perfect with our meal. Yay! And love the game. :)

3. Sallybr2008 says

Wonderful! I’ve only had soup shots, so these seem like a great departure! I think these small servings are elegant, very cool…

Loved this post!

Love this drink! I never think so serve up any sort of cocktail since I don’t drink alcohol and it doesn’t occur to me…but this solves the problem! With a fresh, cold drink like this on the menu, you must already be ready for summer ;)

5. The Café Sucré Farine says

Kelly, how fun getting to know a little more about you! And I love everything about these fruit shots; the ingredients, the color, the photo, the nutritional benefits, yum I wish I had one right now!

The fruit shots look absolutely amazing! What a nice change of pace from all the heavier goodies during the season! Thanks for sharing some of yourself!

7. Beyond The Peel says

What a fun way to learn about the people we visit on food blogs! I love the idea of serving this fruit shooter as a palate cleanser for a fancy meal. I’m totally going to borrow that idea. I agree with Charles, I would have never guessed spaghetti and meatball as your favorite dish! Love it!

8. Elioteats says

I am loving these fruity shots! That would be a great way to start the day. I have to echo Charles, though, I am surprised by your fave food choice! :)

I just love your answers :). And I absolutely love these Orange-Stawberry Ginger Lime Shots… they look amazing

Oh, Kelly… with all the things I bake and cook I will be needing these shots at least once a day! They look gorgeous and given the ingredients I adore, I can only imagine how excellent they taste. Pity I cannot have strawberries here (I mean strawberries which actually have a taste!). The presentation and photos are stunning! Like from a professional cocktail book.

How beautiful these shots are… I’m really impressed by the photography AND the recipe. I’m not a big drinker but I love this kind of fruity drinks…. :-)

I enjoyed reading more about you kelly! V.K.Rees photography was amazing… stunning… I can only dream to take pictures like that….thanks for sharing and I enjoyed your post!

Hmmm, unremarkable breakfast at a hotel? I wonder which one it was? These shots look fantastic and I bet they taste even better! We use cinnamon almost every day, great antioxidant properties and I adore the taste. Thanks for sharing the ten things about yourself.

Hi Eva! We were at the King Eddie – great spot, friendly service and the food was fine but we all fell in love with the shots!! We had dinner at Tom Jones around the corner (OMG – *so* good) stay tuned for some new year`s blogging on that topic! :)

Thanks Nami… Isn`t Vanessa`s work gorgeous – her blog just takes my breath away….her photos, her lighting, her style… so crush-worthy ;0

Sissi, your kind words made my day… Thank you so much – I can`t stop thinking of your Guinness bread… mmm… ;)

Yeah! It`s funny how sometimes the simplest ingredients can have the strongest impact. I love ginger and lime… have a nice day Junia!

Thanks Kay – the reveal was fun… you should consider doing it – you could change around the questions to suit your blog! Have a good day – ;0)

Haha, it`s linked in to memories from my teenage years working as a lifeguard by day and staff nights in the warm summer`s evenings – hot and spicy spaghetti and cold draft with friends… ;0

Thanks France. It reminds me a little of the sorbet they serve at Gibbys resto in Old Montreal (not sure if you know that one) – it works well and is fun! Spaghetti rocks. ;0

I`m not a big alcohol drinker – this works for me too! It`s true, I miss fresh fruit in the winter and make a point of working it in whenever I can. Cheers Amy!

Thanks so much Sally – shots are wonderfully versatile – I`ve seen lots of dessert items in the too. Perfect sizing! ;)

haha, thanks Kim! Isn`t Vanessa`s site stunning… there`s a little `subscribe`button at the top of her site or you could email her a note if you weren`t able to access the subscription you`re looking for.

Have a great day – xo

Aww, thanks Kristy, I think you`re family will enjoy if you make them… hard to go wrong – full of flavour and so pretty ;0)

Hi Mandy – thanks, they were fun to make and even more fun to drink! I hope the lead up to the holidays is going well for you :)

25. Linda says

You’ve just given me a great Xmas morning idea! I’m having houseguests over, so I think I’ll whip up a blender of this and store it in the frig for when they wake. I’d love to have it sitting out as pretty as yours, but I with various “waking” hours, having a nice beverage as this awaiting them will be lovely! Now, for me a splash of Prosecco would be nice! On another note…cinnamon EVERY day? how interesting. Just because you like it so much??

My boys and I love fresh smoothie shots! That’s how I sneak their cod liver oil! lol
    Loved reading this post, I got to learn more about you on a personal note! I love using cinnamon too on a daily basis! I can’t live without it! Have a Merry Christmas in case I don’t get a chance to say it before then!

27. JeanettesHealthyLiving says

Love the idea of a fruit shots full of antioxidants to start off Xmas morning – I’m going to try that this year, what a fun idea!

Ah yes, prosecco is always a nice touch – we love it with pomegranate! Cinnamon everyday indeed. My husband and I make cafe au lait every morning (with the hot froth, the whole bit ;0) and we top it with cinnamon (which, incidentally is wonderful for blood sugar control) but we were doing it long before we learnt of this health bonus! Merry Christmas Linda!

Thanks Lisa – I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your boys… I can just imagine the excitement in your home right about now… enjoy, relax and renew. xo

Thank you sooo much for saying such kind things about my site. <3 You’ve made my day! Really happy to have come across your site as well. So many great recipes!

Hi Kiran! I’m glad you dropped in to say hello to the bloggers… it’s always such a delight to have a new visitor and their sites are very worthwhile. Cheers!

I’m with you… I need my doses of good living in the midst of chaos and overindulgence ;0 Cheers Jeanette!

Thanks Foodjaunts! We celebrated New Year’s Eve at one of our favourite Thai restaurants in town…a little hole in the wall place with fabulous service and outstanding food!

Hi Stephanie! I noticed a similar suggestion when folks posted my shots on pininterest ;0) Either way, hope you enjoy!!

Oh Beth Michelle… your comment made my day!! Have another read and you’ll see why… too funny! (gotta love it!) ;)

Vanessa, you are a creative inspiration… and, you also happen to post fabulous whole food recipes! (how could I not love you?!) ;0 Happy New Year; I look forward to more viewing in 2012…