Monday, January 16, 2012

Blueberry Chai Pudding

We just returned from celebrating my mom's 80th birthday in the Quebec Laurentians.  Just a small gathering of immediate family - you know, 70 or so of us (gotta love those French Canadian, Irish Catholic fusions).

As things would have it, it was a picture perfect weekend for mom - stunning blue skies, brilliant snow filled mountains, and plenty of sugar happy grandchildren running amuck.  We were reunited with family we don't get to see nearly as often as we'd like, and although the time seemed to pass in a flash, as these things often do, it was a pretty wonderful visit.

------------

On to today's project.

I have to say, this pudding turned out even better than I had hoped (some experiments work - some really don't).

The texture is remarkably similar to that of a traditional dessert pudding with a smooth, silky quality and a burst of chai flavourings and blueberry bliss in every bite.

Be sure to read the cooking notes below for best results.  Enjoy!

Blueberry Chai Pudding
  • 250 grams silken tofu (about 2 cups)
  • 1 + 1/2 cups blueberries, thawed and drained if using frozen
  • 2 Tbsp agave
  • 2 Tbsp palm sugar
  • 1 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove

---------------

I have used my own spices to create a chai blend here but if you have a favourite Chai tea, you could substitute 1 heaping tablespoon or so in place of the cinnamon, cardamon, clove and nutmeg.  The only difference is that you may taste the grittiness from the ground tea leaves and spice bits.  I have tried this version as well and while I love the taste of the spice pieces, the abrasive quality of the bits started to wear on me after a while.  If you are not bothered by that textural quality, it's a very tasty version as well.

If you are working with frozen berries, be sure to thaw and drain them first.  If you use them from frozen they will defrost in the pudding and leave a puddle of water.

--------------

Begin by draining excess liquid from tofu in a colander (you can use the back of a spoon to help expel liquid).

Place all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour into individual serving dishes and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

Garnish with mint and a couple of blueberries, as desired.

Serves 4.

86 comments:

1. That looks really good! Happy Birthday to your mom and have a great week!

2. This is so beautiful!

I come from a large French Canadian family and I remember family get togethers when I was a kid. Both my parents were the youngest of 13 kids. Cousins everywhere!

ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thant's incredible Maureen... thanks for sharing... I am one of 10 children (number 9!). Cousins everywhere indeed ;0 - Have a great day and thanks so much for dropping by.

ReplyDelete
  4. I do very much like the look of this. A very pretty purple colour. Delicious sounding flavours, too!

ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS. and I bet equally as delicious!

ReplyDelete
  6. I love how colorful that is. Looks delicious.

7. Mandy - The Complete Cook BookJanuary 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Happy Birthday to your Mom! Your pudding looks incredible - so vibrant!
    :-) Mandy

ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, my husband was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your post. He's drooling over my should onto the key boards, not a pretty site! I have almost of of the ingredients except for the tofu, can't wait to try your recipe and never tried blueberreis and cardamon together, will let you know what the hubby and kids think when I make this! :)

ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I want the pudding, but I want it in that bowl, with that spoon, with the resting plate, and I am NOT, I repeat, I am NOT giving them back to you.... I promise to love them with all my heart forever and ever!

ReplyDelete
  10. Great colour, Kelly. I bet if you used the frozen blueberries it would freeze the tofu and become 'ice cream' I did that last summer with blueberries and banana's to make 'ice cream' without cream and it was wonderful! http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/banana-blueberry-ice-cream/ I found the blueberries are sweet enough, did you add agave because it was for the kids?

ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Eva - yes, you could certainly make ice cream if you wish but if you intend to eat it as pudding, you will end up with large puddles of water which is not very palatable. It was more likely the banana that you found sweet in your recipe ;0 - it has a high glycemic load and for that reason is a popular sweetener in various recipes. Cheers!

ReplyDelete
  12. i love using silken tofu in smoothies! i used to make tofu smoothies as my post-workout snack! love the touch of blueberries, cardamom, and cinnamon. yummY!

ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly, this dessert looks gorgeous! Reading the recipe I would say it's a pastry cream with tofu instead of milk. Excellent idea! I must remember it next time I crave a creamy sweet treat. When I was a child I used to have a smilar pudding served hot as a sweet treat. I remember I loved it, especially the "skin" forming on the top :-)

14. Amy @ elephanteats.comJanuary 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This looks so good! I especially love your serving dish and spoon set...so pretty! Glad you had a nice visit with fam. Sounds like a lot of fun :)

ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kelly, What a very pretty purple this makes! It looks delicious. Glad you had a nice family get together. What a special occasion for your mom!

ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you had a great time Kelly! I was thinking of you guys. :) This looks like a dish that all four of us would enjoy - the blueberry fanatics we have become in the past year. :)

ReplyDelete
  17. This pudding looks so light and luscious, yet so healthy. Happy Birthday to your mom - so glad you were able to spend some time with your family.

18. Happy Birthday Kelly's mom :) ^_^

Kelly, I love the look of the pudding. It reminds me a lot... looks so similar... to a fruit sorbet I made for my parents-in-law when I was in Sweden. The colour and appearance was almost the same (I couldn't get it to freeze properly, even putting it out into a giant pile of snow or leaving it standing outside at -15 didn't want to freeze it... weird, right?? - anyway, it was more of a "coulis" in the end) and so I really wanting to try this right now as a result. Blueberries and delicate spice flavours... yummy! :)

ReplyDelete
  19. I just saw another recipe using silken tofu (I think at Ann's Cooking Healthy for Me) and I thought I could sneak it in on the hubster. I LOVE chai and have plenty of frozen blueberries. WIll give this a go!

ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, this looks and sounds so yummy! I just bought a huge carton of fresh blueberries yesterday at Costco and I have a feeling I know what I'll be doing with some of them. Thanks for the great recipe. Is there a particular brand of tofu you would recommend for this?

ReplyDelete
  21. --That deep lavender is one of ther most Beautiful colors...

My Gosh, how I'd love to be at one of your family gathering.

Happy Birthday to your mom :))) x

My Inner Chick http://myinnerchick.com

ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful looking dessert Kelly. Your recipes are so refreshing. Always healthy, nutritionally thoughtful. Lovely.

ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com.

ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious! I love that you used blueberries! I'm starting to become a huge fan of tofu!

25. That looks amazing! I love the color

ReplyDelete
  26. This looks fantastic...a healthy dessert with such a great pop of colour! Love it!

27. This is stunning and such a great and unusual combination of flavors

ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty Kelly! And it sounds scrumptious!

ReplyDelete
  29. The color is just gorgeous! Makes for for a beautiful presentation. And Happy Birthday to your mom!! Glad you had such lovely celebration.

30. SweetcarolinescookingJanuary 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Look at the color of that pudding...stunning!! Happy birthday to your mom--hope you all had a nice time celebrating. :)

ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that's a lot of people for your mom's birthday, how fun! The pudding looks and sounds awesome!

ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Sara! It was a great weekend :0)

ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you Leaf - it turned out pretty well and tastes appealing but somehow different from the usual.

ReplyDelete
  34. Thank so much Claire - I was happy with how it turned out. The corn starch does a great job of jelling the fruit with the soy protein.

ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Greg - You know what they say, the nicest colours are found in nature.

ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Mandy - it's full of flavour too! Hope you're having a great day :)

ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, that's great! Thank you for sharing that over the shoulder story ;0 - let me know how it goes over with the family if you give it a try. Cheers Lisa!

ReplyDelete
  38. Hee.Hee, I love it! You know, I found these precious dishes at a Japanese gift store ... they were having a boxing day (week) sale and I couldn't resist... so many pretty things in there. Thanks Sally :)

ReplyDelete
  39. Me too! so yummy in smoothies... thanks Mis Pensamientos :0)

ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks so much Sissi - the creaminess surprised me (though I'm entirely sure why), I guess I didn't expect it to turn out so much like a conventional pudding... I hope you try it sometime :)

ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you Amy - I'm quite smitten with them too! Hope you're having a great day!

42. Hi Amy!! So nice to see you here... I'm coming over to visit! xo

ReplyDelete
  43. Ha.ha... I hope you try it sometime - you can always vary the inclusions and spices so that it works for your family, as desired. Hope your day is going well Kristy.

ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for dropping by Jeanette - you're right, it's creamy but light tasting and full of flavour... I'm glad it worked :)

ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks so much Charles - I hope you feature your fruit sorbet - I adore sorbet (even if it doesn't freeze ;0) no matter, coulis' are equally yummy and I'd love to see your recipe.

ReplyDelete
  46. This is a great 'sneak' recipe for sure - there's no way in heaven (unless you leave out the tofu packaging), that anyone is going to know that there's tofu in this pudding! :0

47. Merci Yummy!

ReplyDelete
  48. Fresh blueberries... lucky you! Not too much fresh stuff going on here but the frozen produce is usually captured at the peak of freshness so it's the next best thing. Thanks so much for dropping by and welcome to Inspired Edibles!

ReplyDelete
  49. ooh, lavender.... I like the description.

Thanks Kim! xo

ReplyDelete
  50. Nutritionally Thoughtful - what a provocative tag line... I like, I like... ;0 - Thank you ma belle France!

ReplyDelete
  51. yay for tofu! (and all the creative ways of disguising it :0)

ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks foodjaunts - it's kind of fun! Hope you're having a great day.

ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks so much Charissa - it's a nice, wholesome option for sure. Welcome to Inspired Edibles and thanks for taking the time to drop by.

ReplyDelete
  54. Thank you so much Alyssa! Cheers and have a great afternoon.

ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks Chris - it seemed to be a hit with the other family members :)

ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Jen, thanks so much for the nice compliment and well wishes. Have a great afternoon!

ReplyDelete
  57. It's a fun colour isn't it... ah, what we find in nature is unmatched. Have a great afternoon Caroline! :)

ReplyDelete
  58. Yup, lotttts of folks in my family for sure :) Thanks Julia! I appreciate you stopping by.

ReplyDelete
  59. Kelly, this is the most beautiful dessert! The color is amazing and your experiment definitely worked. How wonderful for your mother's birthday. I've not used silken tofu much, it almost seems like a version of using yogurt? but having alot more protein? I'm so interested in trying this one!

ReplyDelete
  60. that's one delicious pudding -- made with tofu?! I wouldn't have guessed!!

Happy Belated Birthday to your mom :)

61. Velva-Tomatoes on the VineJanuary 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM

the color of the blueberries in the chai pudding just jump out at you...What a beautiful color. No doubt it is delicious!

Cheers.
    Velva

ReplyDelete
  62. You know Greek yogurt is very concentrated in protein (also quite expensive compared to other yogurts) but might work with the corn starch thickener... it would definitely be worth trying the experiment! Silken tofu is a soft tofu that is entirely benign in taste (it really just soaks up the surrounding flavours).

ReplyDelete
  63. Tofu indeed (it is undetectable taste/texture wise in this pudding) - thanks for stopping by Kiran! :0)

ReplyDelete
  64. Thanks so much Velva, I appreciate your compliments - have a great evening :)

ReplyDelete
  65. I am starting to get into blueberries.. but never thought about any type of pudding to go along with it. I also love that you added agave into this.

ReplyDelete
  66. Kelly...what a gorgeous, rich, luscious pudding! I love blueberry but I don't think I've combined it with spices such as cardamom and cloves (which are two of my favorite!). I am so glad you enjoyed a wonderful birthday celebration with your mom and your family! : )

ReplyDelete
  67. Happy Birthday to your mom! This pudding looks incredible...the color is fantastic! I bet it tastes equally amazing :)

68. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.January 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Happy Birthday, Mom! This pudding looks excellent. I love blueberries and I especially love chai!!

ReplyDelete
  69. Thanks for this inspired edibles. I am quite happy to see this.

ReplyDelete
  70. Wow, what refreshing fabulous looking dessert, love it:)

ReplyDelete
  71. This is beautiful and looks oh-so delicious! Very inspiring. Thanks Kelly! =)

ReplyDelete
  72. Thanks for visiting my blog Kelly! this chai pudding looks amazingly inviting, can't go wrong with that deep purple color, will def try this soon!:)

ReplyDelete
  73. I absolutely love tofu pudding - it gives me a hit of protein while also giving me something sweet to snack on :) I'm glad I have a bag full of frozen summer blueberries! Thanks for sharing!

ReplyDelete
  74. This looks amazing! I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing it.

ReplyDelete
  75. You just never know where life is going to bring you! :) Have a brilliant day Kay.

ReplyDelete
  76. Thanks so much Anne - the flavours seem to work well here; I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try.

ReplyDelete
  77. The colour is fun, isn't it. The taste is lovely - thank you Magic of Spice!

ReplyDelete
  78. Thanks Stephanie - I have fun playing around with chai mixtures - love that kind of earthy goodness.

ReplyDelete
  79. Thank you Irena and welcome to Inspired Edibles!

80. Thanks Vanessa! :)

ReplyDelete
  81. Thank you so much for dropping by. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try - it was certainly a hit in our home ;-)

ReplyDelete
  82. Hi Courtney - this is one of the first puddings I've made from tofu... I love the creative use of tofu which has an otherwise innocuous flavour. In this recipe, it elevates it to another state :)

83. Thanks Evey!

84. Aimee @ ChickenvilleApril 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

very interesting combo, now you have me thinking about a blueberry chai tea mix, something maybe with dried blueberries to make this year for christmas. i made a chai tea mix a couple of years back and it was a big hit.

ReplyDelete
  85. Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all important infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback - it's wonderful to hear from you!