Blueberry Chai Pudding

We just returned from celebrating my mom’s 80th birthday in the Quebec Laurentians.  Just a small gathering of immediate family – you know, 70 or so of us (gotta love those French Canadian, Irish Catholic fusions).

As things would have it, it was a picture perfect weekend for mom – stunning blue skies, brilliant snow filled mountains, and plenty of sugar happy grandchildren running amuck.  We were reunited with family we don’t get to see nearly as often as we’d like, and although the time seemed to pass in a flash, as these things often do, it was a pretty wonderful visit.

————
On to today’s project.

I have to say, this pudding turned out even better than I had hoped (some experiments work – some really don’t).

The texture is remarkably similar to that of a traditional dessert pudding with a smooth, silky quality and a burst of chai flavourings and blueberry bliss in every bite.

Be sure to read the cooking notes below for best results.  Enjoy!

Blueberry Chai Pudding
  • 250 grams silken tofu (about 2 cups)
  • 1 + 1/2 cups blueberries, thawed and drained if using frozen
  • 2 Tbsp agave
  • 2 Tbsp palm sugar
  • 1 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove
  • 1/2 fresh grated nutmeg (it’s easy to grate and tastes delicious)
—————

I have used my own spices to create a chai blend here but if you have a favourite Chai tea, you could substitute 1 heaping tablespoon or so in place of the cinnamon, cardamon, clove and nutmeg.  The only difference is that you may taste the grittiness from the ground tea leaves and spice bits.  I have tried this version as well and while I love the taste of the spice pieces, the abrasive quality of the bits started to wear on me after a while.  If you are not bothered by that textural quality, it’s a very tasty version as well.

If you are working with frozen berries, be sure to thaw and drain them first.  If you use them from frozen they will defrost in the pudding and leave a puddle of water.

————–

Begin by draining excess liquid from tofu in a colander (you can use the back of a spoon to help expel liquid).

Place all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour into individual serving dishes and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

Garnish with mint and a couple of blueberries, as desired.

Serves 4.

Comments

This is so beautiful!

I come from a large French Canadian family and I remember family get togethers when I was a kid. Both my parents were the youngest of 13 kids. Cousins everywhere!

Wow! Thant’s incredible Maureen… thanks for sharing… I am one of 10 children (number 9!). Cousins everywhere indeed ;0 – Have a great day and thanks so much for dropping by.

3. Lisa says

Kelly, my husband was looking over my shoulder as I was reading your post. He’s drooling over my should onto the key boards, not a pretty site! I have almost of of the ingredients except for the tofu, can’t wait to try your recipe and never tried blueberreis and cardamon together, will let you know what the hubby and kids think when I make this! :)

4. Sallybr2008 says

Ok, I want the pudding, but I want it in that bowl, with that spoon, with the resting plate, and I am NOT, I repeat, I am NOT giving them back to you…. I promise to love them with all my heart forever and ever!

Thanks Eva – yes, you could certainly make ice cream if you wish but if you intend to eat it as pudding, you will end up with large puddles of water which is not very palatable. It was more likely the banana that you found sweet in your recipe ;0 – it has a high glycemic load and for that reason is a popular sweetener in various recipes. Cheers!

i love using silken tofu in smoothies! i used to make tofu smoothies as my post-workout snack! love the touch of blueberries, cardamom, and cinnamon. yummY!

Kelly, this dessert looks gorgeous! Reading the recipe I would say it’s a pastry cream with tofu instead of milk. Excellent idea! I must remember it next time I crave a creamy sweet treat. When I was a child I used to have a smilar pudding served hot as a sweet treat. I remember I loved it, especially the “skin” forming on the top :-)

8. Amy @ elephanteats.com says

This looks so good! I especially love your serving dish and spoon set…so pretty! Glad you had a nice visit with fam. Sounds like a lot of fun :)

I’m so glad you had a great time Kelly! I was thinking of you guys. :) This looks like a dish that all four of us would enjoy – the blueberry fanatics we have become in the past year. :)

Happy Birthday Kelly’s mom :) ^_^

Kelly, I love the look of the pudding. It reminds me a lot… looks so similar… to a fruit sorbet I made for my parents-in-law when I was in Sweden. The colour and appearance was almost the same (I couldn’t get it to freeze properly, even putting it out into a giant pile of snow or leaving it standing outside at -15 didn’t want to freeze it… weird, right?? – anyway, it was more of a “coulis” in the end) and so I really wanting to try this right now as a result. Blueberries and delicate spice flavours… yummy! :)

11. Eliotseats says

I just saw another recipe using silken tofu (I think at Ann’s Cooking Healthy for Me) and I thought I could sneak it in on the hubster. I LOVE chai and have plenty of frozen blueberries. WIll give this a go!

Oh wow, this looks and sounds so yummy! I just bought a huge carton of fresh blueberries yesterday at Costco and I have a feeling I know what I’ll be doing with some of them. Thanks for the great recipe. Is there a particular brand of tofu you would recommend for this?

The color is just gorgeous! Makes for for a beautiful presentation. And Happy Birthday to your mom!! Glad you had such lovely celebration.

14. Sweetcarolinescooking says

Look at the color of that pudding…stunning!! Happy birthday to your mom–hope you all had a nice time celebrating. :)

Thank you Leaf – it turned out pretty well and tastes appealing but somehow different from the usual.

Thank so much Claire – I was happy with how it turned out. The corn starch does a great job of jelling the fruit with the soy protein.

Oh, that’s great! Thank you for sharing that over the shoulder story ;0 – let me know how it goes over with the family if you give it a try. Cheers Lisa!

Hee.Hee, I love it! You know, I found these precious dishes at a Japanese gift store … they were having a boxing day (week) sale and I couldn’t resist… so many pretty things in there. Thanks Sally :)

Thanks so much Sissi – the creaminess surprised me (though I’m entirely sure why), I guess I didn’t expect it to turn out so much like a conventional pudding… I hope you try it sometime :)

Ha.ha… I hope you try it sometime – you can always vary the inclusions and spices so that it works for your family, as desired. Hope your day is going well Kristy.

Thanks for dropping by Jeanette – you’re right, it’s creamy but light tasting and full of flavour… I’m glad it worked :)

Thanks so much Charles – I hope you feature your fruit sorbet – I adore sorbet (even if it doesn’t freeze ;0) no matter, coulis’ are equally yummy and I’d love to see your recipe.

This is a great ‘sneak’ recipe for sure – there’s no way in heaven (unless you leave out the tofu packaging), that anyone is going to know that there’s tofu in this pudding! :0

Fresh blueberries… lucky you! Not too much fresh stuff going on here but the frozen produce is usually captured at the peak of freshness so it’s the next best thing. Thanks so much for dropping by and welcome to Inspired Edibles!

Nutritionally Thoughtful – what a provocative tag line… I like, I like… ;0 – Thank you ma belle France!

Thanks so much Charissa – it’s a nice, wholesome option for sure. Welcome to Inspired Edibles and thanks for taking the time to drop by.

It’s a fun colour isn’t it… ah, what we find in nature is unmatched. Have a great afternoon Caroline! :)

28. Linda says

Kelly, this is the most beautiful dessert! The color is amazing and your experiment definitely worked. How wonderful for your mother’s birthday. I’ve not used silken tofu much, it almost seems like a version of using yogurt? but having alot more protein? I’m so interested in trying this one!

29. Velva-Tomatoes on the Vine says

the color of the blueberries in the chai pudding just jump out at you…What a beautiful color. No doubt it is delicious!

Cheers.
    Velva

You know Greek yogurt is very concentrated in protein (also quite expensive compared to other yogurts) but might work with the corn starch thickener… it would definitely be worth trying the experiment! Silken tofu is a soft tofu that is entirely benign in taste (it really just soaks up the surrounding flavours).

Tofu indeed (it is undetectable taste/texture wise in this pudding) – thanks for stopping by Kiran! :0)

I am starting to get into blueberries.. but never thought about any type of pudding to go along with it. I also love that you added agave into this.

Kelly…what a gorgeous, rich, luscious pudding! I love blueberry but I don’t think I’ve combined it with spices such as cardamom and cloves (which are two of my favorite!). I am so glad you enjoyed a wonderful birthday celebration with your mom and your family! : )

34. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

Happy Birthday, Mom! This pudding looks excellent. I love blueberries and I especially love chai!!

35. Courtney Shrumm says

I absolutely love tofu pudding – it gives me a hit of protein while also giving me something sweet to snack on :) I’m glad I have a bag full of frozen summer blueberries! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Stephanie – I have fun playing around with chai mixtures – love that kind of earthy goodness.

Thank you so much for dropping by. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try – it was certainly a hit in our home ;-)

Hi Courtney – this is one of the first puddings I’ve made from tofu… I love the creative use of tofu which has an otherwise innocuous flavour. In this recipe, it elevates it to another state :)

39. Aimee @ Chickenville says

very interesting combo, now you have me thinking about a blueberry chai tea mix, something maybe with dried blueberries to make this year for christmas. i made a chai tea mix a couple of years back and it was a big hit.

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all important infos. I would like to see more posts like this .