All Natural Almond Butter and Banana Ice Cream

Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do
                                                                 ~ John Wooden

Today is Earth Day – a celebration of nature and an opportunity to enhance our awareness and appreciation of Mother Earth.
Pan-Canadian events include earth day planting, litter clean-up & recycling (more affectionately known as a “Trash Bash”), meatless Monday challenges, tree talk & tours, local food challenges and, a personal favourite, earth day yoga in the park.
One of the best ways to honour Mother Earth and support planetary sustainability, is to enjoy foods that are as close to nature as possible: whole foods found on the farm, in the orchards and in our gardens.
Natural foods provide the greatest concentration of nutrients for our bodies – vitamins, minerals, fibre, enzymes and antioxidants. These same foods also tend to be easier for our bodies to break down, digest and metabolize. Whenever we start tinkering with nature, we begin whittling away at the vital elements that help keep us healthy and whole.
Food doesn’t have to be complicated (nor flavourless) to be good for you.  The recipes featured at Inspired Edibles tend to be simplistic – sometimes embarrassingly so – but the focus is on whole foods that have been minimally processed and refined.  Tasty, Achievable, Healthy.
Here is an example of a yumilicious snack/dessert that took me about 7 minutes to pull together (I exaggerate.  More like 5 minutes ;-).

All Natural Almond Butter and Banana Ice Cream

• 2 fresh, ripe bananas, peeled
  • ¾ cup almond butter, smooth or crunchy
  • 1 + ½ cups milk, or alternate milk beverage
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla essence
  • Handful of chopped almonds for garnish
——————–
Place bananas, almond butter, milk and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
Transfer liquid (it will be the consistency of a smoothie – and could also be enjoyed this way) into a container and store it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours.
Note: Because this ice “cream” does not actually contain cream, if you freeze it for more than 1 or 2 hours (depending on the temperature of your freezer) it will freeze like ice and become rock hard.  To avoid chipping your tooth, best to freeze the mixture for a shorter duration, until desired consistency is achieved.
Scoop almond butter and banana ice cream into serving bowls and top with scattered nuts.
Enjoy!

Comments

1. Lisa says

Yes indeed this is a yummylicious treat! I’m all about simplicity in all aspects of my life not just cooking! Great looking pics too! Happy Earth day!

2. Sallybr2008 says

Beautiful post, and beautiful photos, and wonderful recipe, perfect for the day.

We planted a tree today, actually hubby did… now I’m craving banana ice cream… ;-)

Happy Earth Day!

thanks Daphne! You could always try the ice cream maker but my sense is that the texture is largely attributable to the lack of fat in the recipe. You could try substituting some cream for the milk or adding in some avocado (yes ma’am) to the recipe and see how you make out! Please let me know if you try…

How fun is this recipe! The kids would love this!!!! And I love how simple it is – Happy Earth Day indeed! And I love the quote up top (and the pictures too!). :)

I totally agree that foods don’t have to be complicated! I celebrated Earth Day working in the yard. It was beautiful here. I love your celebration with an almond butter banana ice cream! It looks delicious!

Wow so easy to make and it’s ice cream! I own an ice cream maker but I assumed it’s hard to make ice cream without the machine. Looking at this recipe, it doesn’t seem like that at all! What a nw wonderful recipe. I love the flavor. I’m so happy we finally started to have warm weather here in SF!

5 minutes to obtain such a beautiful dessert? And no ice-cream maker? I’m totally mesmerised! Banana and almond milk sound like a perfect combination (actually I have never used almond milk… I must buy it one day. Thanks for one more inspiring healthy sweet treat! And thanks for reminding the banana lemon cream (have I told you I love the plate and the bowl?).

What an incredible dessert, Kelly, I absolutely LOVE everything about it. Bananas are amazing frozen and blended, they have the creamiest texture, and the addition of the almond butter is wonderful. I will try this recipe when we finally get some warmer weather to stay.

Kelly….simple and delicious and perfect! I always have butter pecan ice cream to commemorate my dad’s birthday and so I had some over the weekend. But I think I’m going to start adding banana to the mix. Your photos are beautiful…..and tell me about that ice cream scoop. It’s really pretty! : )

Kelly, you’re so right, often simple is the very best! This ice cream looks wonderful and so…. easy – I love that it uses milk and no ice cream maker and 5 minutes, well there’s really no excuse to not make this :) Do you think it would work with fresh strawberries?

That ice cream looks perfect. I have tried making it without an ice cream maker but ran into the rock hard problem. Thanks for the tip. Delicious. Congrats on Top 9.

Okay I am truly convinced you posted this wonderful ice cream recipe just for me lol. I LOVE this.. and its so right for me :)

Ooo, Kelly- you gave me an idea! We have a Frozen Yogurt Machine at our deli… I’m thinking, if I run the mix through the machine, it might make it creamier. Other folks with some kind of ice cream machine might also do likewise.
    We make our own Fro Yo mixes, but usually sugar-sweetened. This healthy-style recipe would be perfect for staying in shape! Thanks for the post!

I love your Earth day post about eating as close to nature as possible! This ice-cream sounds de-licious! I love the almond butter- banana combo, yum!

I was kind of bummed about earth day this year. I had to work and it poured down rain. I’m still feeling like I need a little Earth Day love in my life!

Hi Kelly – this looks really great, and perfectly scooped! I bet a drizzle of honey would complement the almonds perfectly. You’d never know it was cream-less from the look of it!

“1 + ½ cups milk, or alternate milk beverage” – I guess soya milk wouldn’t be such a good think to use on Earth Day. I heard that the massively increased demand in this as it becomes more and more popular in the west is causing no small amount of environmental damage… or maybe I’m thinking of something else entirely…

17. beyondthepeel says

I love the simplicity of your recipes Kelly. That’s why I come here. Food that is natural and unprocessed is already tasty and needs very little help. I love the sound of this banana almond butter ice cream!

Agreed… we drank a bit of this mixture in smoothie form before tossing it in the freezer – delish! (though quite hearty – maybe ideal after a work out)

Ah, I work at it every day Lisa… simplifying my over active mind is the toughest one of all… Happy day to you!

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments Sally! How nice that you planted a tree to commemorate Earth Day – great idea!

Hi Amy – thanks so much for dropping by… I love this combo too and there’s no limit to the different ways you can change it up – love that banana can serve as the texture for this ice ‘cream’ ;)

Thank you so much Bianca! The great thing too is that you don’t need an ice-cream maker… it’s really DIY :)

Hi Kristy! It is simple indeed… I bet it would be a great project to do with the kids – my kids love it!

Thanks Baking Serendipity – it’s fun just to change things up now and then, isn’t it. I enjoy finding new ways of enjoying old faves too. Have a great day!

Ah, the yard… what a concept… our dog has left us with mounds and craters of dirt….we are far too permissive with our little girl… how nice that you’re having beautiful weather – glad someone is!! ;-)

Well, let’s just say this is a loose interpretation of ice cream – you would not be able to pull off the conventional form quite the same way without the machine – having said that, I don’t eat much in the way of old-fashioned ice cream so this is a really nice option. Yay for nice weather – and yay for beautiful San Francisco! :)

I think you’ll really like this Amy – and with your creativity, I can imagine the amazing combinations you will come up with!

Hee.hee, thanks Sissi! You know I’m the Queen of Quick in the kitchen… anything labourious doesn’t usually happen over here ;-) I hope you like it if you give it a try!

Thanks for your enthusiasm Eva – how nice! Ah, the weather, I assume it’s not much better/brighter in TO these days… ugh! It will change soon :)

The banana lemon cream I posted was made from frozen, but this time I decided to do the inverse and it seemed to work well and was a nice change though both are great ~ Thanks CJ.

Yay for simple & delicious!! Thanks Eliot. (your cat image always makes me smile… I don’t know what I would do if you changed it…)

Oh, how nice to commemorate your dad’s birthday with a special ice cream… I love the idea of remembering those we love with things they enjoyed best…

The ice cream scoop is an antique that my mom gave me… When my parents bought property many, many moons ago, there was a little five & dime store on the land – inside the store was a treasure trove of (now) antique confectionary wrappers; boxes; and some precious utensils and implements such as the ice cream scoop. I just love it and it’s such a nice memory of those days… thanks Anne! I had some nice light when I was snapping on that day… can’t beat natural light.

Thanks Alyssa! It does look full bodied doesn’t it? Amazing the things you can do these days…. thanks for the compliment on the scoop, I love it too!

I think it would be divine with fresh strawberries and many, many other wonderful combinations you dream up! Thanks Chris :)

indeed… you can always leave the rock hard version out on the counter for a while or pop it in the fridge to thaw ;-) Thanks so much for the Top 9 nod – much appreciated!

Sounds like the perfect plan to me – let me know how it turns out and thank you so much for dropping by Jennifer!

Thank you so very much Kristina; I’m thrilled to hear that the post resonated with you. Almond butter and banana is one tough to beat combination! ;-)

Haha, this might just be the solution you’re looking for… hope you enjoy it Jen and that the sun is shining again! :)

I’m so touched you think it was perfectly scooped ;-) I ended up having a heck of a time because I lost track of freezer time and it was harder than I wanted when it came for picture taking…but the sun was out and the show had to go on (that and running hot water on the scoop is always helpful ;-)

Have a great day Charles!

Thanks so much France… that’s what I aim for and I am so grateful to have wonderful followes such as you and Josh cheering me on! Much appreciated :)

Yipes- The idea did NOT work! Do NOT try to run the mix through a fro yo machine! It was similar to the experiment I did using all fresh strawberries in a yogurt recipe (and no sugar syrup)- too much liquid apparently makes it too thick upon freezing. Oh well- still great for a smoothie!

Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed! Very useful information specifically the last section :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks and good luck.

Oh well, still worth the experiment, and now we know. Thanks for dropping back with the news Jennifer – have a great evening.