Light and Refreshing Mojito Smoothie

Mojitos are one of my all-time favourite summertime drinks.

On the weekends, my husband and I try to escape for a few blessed moments of tranquility by the lake to enjoy a refreshing cocktail.  Side by side on our wobbly dock, we chat about our crazy lives, share our dreams and soak in a few moments of calm and gratitude.

It seems we are both huge fans of freshly squeezed lime juice and typically alternate between margaritas and mojitos as our favoured drink.  We have a simple electric citrus juicer that burns through 12 limes in no time, extracting every ounce of goodness.

On hot and sticky summer days when we are back in the city, I find myself craving that same fresh lime juice but since it is not generally advisable to consume rum or tequila during the day (something to do with reduced productivity levels), I fashion a delicious protein rich smoothie that has all the taste and refreshing qualities of the mojito without the alcohol.

I hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as I do – our boys also love this drink!

Light and Refreshing Mojito Smoothie
  • 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup ice cubes
  • Zest of 1 lime, or to taste (see note below)
  • Juice of 3 limes, or to taste (see note below)
  • 10-15 fresh mint leaves
  • Handful of lemon thyme leaves, optional
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup (substitute agave or natural honey) *note: this mojito is quite tart, if you prefer you can adjust by reducing the amount of zest/juice and increasing gently the maple syrup/honey to suit your taste
———————

Serves 2
Because this smoothie is comprised of fruit juice rather than fruit pulp, you may find that it is not as thick as a traditional smoothie.  It tastes every bit as good but if you find it overly liquid, you can play around with the consistency by adding more yogurt and omitting the milk, as desired.
This mojito is quite tart.  If you prefer, you can adjust by reducing the amount of zest/juice and increasing gently the maple syrup/honey to suit your taste
I had some beautiful lemon thyme growing in my little herb box so I couldn’t resist tossing a handful into the mix.  Delicious.
———————–
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into two large glasses, sit back, breathe, relax, enjoy.
Sunset on the water – wobbly dock in the foreground

Comments

1. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says

This looks fantastically refreshing. And I have a ton of mint to use up. :)

Great idea to use the yogurt – I love a drink that will act as a snack too.

2. Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} says

I love mojito’s! I have mint growing in my backyard just to make mojito’s! LOL. I also have thyme in my garden, but will have to grow some lemon thyme too. I cannot wait to make your smoothie! Sounds so refreshing!

Kelly, I love this mojito smoothie idea! Your photos are so beautiful and the colours refreshing, I already feel as if I were having a cooling tangu smoothie. (Actually it gives me some crazy modification ideas too… but I have to think them over) I always have a couple of limes in the fridge and cannot imagine to start a weekend without checking their stock.

Kelly you just painted such a wonderful picture of a summer weekend. I hope you enjoy many delicious mojitos on the dock this year! :-)

What a lovely view, wobbly dock and all. Mojitos are our summertime fav’s too. This sounds delicious and healthy too!

6. Beyondthepeel says

Well this just sounds lovely! I could see ourselves enjoying this mid day counting our blessings too. What a nice treat.

7. nutmegs_seven says

I love anything involving lime and mint together. But add lemon thyme, my absolute favourite herb ever…and I might just cry with joy. Especially as it’s alcohol-free therefore I could enjoy more than about half a glass without becoming embarrassingly tipsy…

8. Sallybr2008 says

You MUST confess: you did write this for me, right? Just for me! ;-)

I am always searching for non-alcoholic drinks and this one is perfection in a glass: we are very fond of mojitos, but having a non=alcoholic version is very much appreciated!

(gorgeous photo, it calmed me down just looking at it….)

This looks rather nice – though I guess one could always add a small splash of harder stuff in to be naughty :D

Love your sunset… how come we never have sunsets like that where I am? :(

What an absolutely creative idea!!! I love it! And I have everything for it – including the lemon thyme!!! You can bet I’ll be making this sometime this week!

11. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says

This drink looks so perfectly refreshing!! Perfect for drinking on a perfect summer night!

I love the sound of alone time with the hubby by a lake discussing dreams and talking about crazy lives. I crave moments like that and it’s all the better with this fabulous concoction. :) And I love the view from the wobbly dock. Everything about this is perfect.

I love mojitos and surely, leave it to you , Kelly to make a healty and mouth watering version! I love the idea of making it a smoothie with greek yogurt. Great recipe!

Wow, you have a lake house? So jealous! ;)

I’m a big fan of lime juice drinks too…sour drinks are definitey my favorite. This is such a perfect drink for a warm day! I never thought to make a smoothie with lime juice!

15. justonecookbook says

Arh so refreshing!! I’m not much of a drinker but when I have an occasion I drink something light and zesty (and often fruity) drink! It’s getting warmer here (yesterday was freeeezing cold) and school is over… it’s real summer time!! Beautiful drink, Kelly! :-)

16. Happy When Not Hungry says

Wow this looks so fresh and delicious! I have limes, Greek yogurt and fresh mint so I’m def trying this tomorrow. Yum!

17. Sweetcarolinescooking says

What a gorgeous and refreshing smoothie…sounds so good! I’m definitely a fan of mojitos, so I know I’d love this too. Wow, and that sunset is stunning. :)

Kelly, I am so into milkshakes and smoothies right now. But this sounds wonderfully refreshing and light! And it’s so nice that you get to sneak a little time away together and reflect and enjoy! : )

I agree, the modification ideas are endless! So much fun to play around with summer freshness. Haha, I hate runnig out of lemons/limes too! :)

You found me out! ;0)

You’re right, you do like your non-alcohol cocktails… If you enjoy lime, I think you and Phil will love this one!!

I’m glad you liked the photo – thanks Sally :)

This one doesn’t contain alcohol so hopefully it works for you!

Have a beautiful day Nami :)

22. Sallybr2008 says

Limes and lemons are always in our fridge – we simply never run out of them… yeap, will be making this really soon!

23. ping kay says

The heck with the kids … gimme some rum! Perfect for our heatwave … aahhhh …. bliss … definitely with rum, did I mention that already?