Flourless Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

These cookies are probably the most unusual love bites I’ve ever made.

Unusual, in part, because they are not only grain free but also flour free – no dehydrated chickpeas or coconuts here!

But what amazes me most about these little puppies is that despite their lack of flour, baking soda/powder, butter and refined sugars, they puff up beautifully as though they were… yes, almost a customary cookie.  It’s like a mad science project gone right.

Are they edible you ask?

Well, if my teenage sons are anything to go by, that would be a big yes with another batch please mom!

The inspiration for this recipe comes from my lovely friend Eva over at Kitchen Inspirations. As soon as I laid eyes on her Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies, I was instantly transfixed and couldn’t stop obsessing about how to make them mine, all mine – Mu-Ah, Ha-Ha-Ha!! (that’s my mad scientist cackle). Thank you Eva!

I’ve made these cookies at least a half dozen times and each time, they turn out slightly differently.  Sometimes puffy and airy (very light weight almost as light as meringue but with a lovely pb/banana flavor).  Other times, they are slightly more dense and chewy — no idea what accounts for the difference.  Try the experiment in your own labs and see what happens!

Flourless Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Flourless Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

• 1 cup all natural smooth peanut butter (just nuts, sugar free, sodium free), substitute almond butter for paleo version
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1/2 cup quality dark chocolate chips* + a few more for topping

Makes about 16 cookies

1. This cookie batter is best prepared all at once.  Even if you don’t plan on eating 16 cookies, I recommend using all the batter and freezing or reserving the baked cookies for later use rather than saving half the batter as it does not age well (the banana tends to oxidize as all natural/real foods do!).
  2. You can use any nut butter of choice in this recipe.
  3. You don’t need a blender/food processor for this recipe.  I use a simple hand mixer that I’ve had kicking around for years – still works great.
  4. *Soy free and sugar free dark chocolate chips are available at health food stores.  You can also make your own dark chocolate chips if preferred.
  5. You can substitute the egg in this recipe by using 3 Tbsp of tepid water and 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed (flax meal).  Whisk ground flaxseed into water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes until a gelatinous mixture results resembling a raw egg.  Add the entire mixture to the recipe in place of the egg.

Heat oven to 325 F.

1. Using a simple hand mixer, food processor or blender, mix together peanut butter, banana and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
  2. Add egg and maple syrup or honey and mix to combine.
  3. Mix in dark chocolate chips by hand with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.
  4. Place mixture in fridge for about 20 minutes to allow it to firm slightly.
  5. Place parchment paper over a baking sheet and gently brush or spray the paper with olive oil.
  6. Drop peanut butter cookies onto sheet by rounded tablespoons allowing room between the cookies (they will expand and puff up somewhat).  Add another chip or two to the top of each cookie.
  7. Place cookies in oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the undersides are lightly brown and the exterior is just firm to the touch.
  8. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a rack for a few minutes before enjoying!
© Inspired Edibles

Print this recipe card

Nothing like warm cookies and a cold glass of milk
for dairy free, enjoy: hemp, coconut, almond or brown rice

Hard to believe there is no flour in this creamy, delicious batter

I find it impossible not to smile at the sight of these two goofballs ;o)

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel says

OMG that is the funniest picture of the “kids” on the couch!!! haha…I LOVE IT :) And these cookies are totally getting made over here at my house. I can’t get over that ingredient list!!!! Absolute Perfection Kelly :)

2. Sonia! The Healthy Foodie says

Oh my goodness, that batter!!!! Why did you even bother baking the cookies? I’d serve the batter in a bowl with a spoon! ;)

Ha! The batter is pretty delightful on its own – I’m with y’a sister. I make so many unbaked bars and desserts, I think my sons feel somewhat mainstream when I actually bake cookies ;0).

Are they not hilarious? Couple of kooks! They keep me constantly entertained :). Let me know how the experiment goes Sandra — hope you and your boys enjoy!!

5. Eva Taylor says

What a great cookie, and I am SO FLATTERED that you’ve taken that recipe and bumped it up a notch. I’m definitely making these for my brother (he is avoiding gluten for health reasons) — you should have seen him with the pb version I made, as soon as he found out they were GF he was inhaling them. I know he loves banana’s and chocolate so this will be perfect.

Your dynamic duo look like a crazy bunch, who sleeps like that? Does the dog think he’s a cat or does the cat think he’s a dog?

Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

6. Angie says

I just had to LOL a few times to see your two babies lying on the sofa that way…too dang adorable.
    Peanut butter cookies look divine!

Ohhhhh my god….replace that egg with a flax egg and hand me the batter with a spoon! I don’t even think I could wait to eat these until they came out of the oven. I’m sure there would be some spatula and bowl lickin’! However, I learned my lesson about eating cookie dough (raw eggs and all) as a child….the hard way.

And I just LOOOVE that picture of your pets- they are soo funny. I have that blanket, too ;-)

8. Sissi_Withaglass.com says

Kelly, I feel as if most of your recipes were (not maybe mad) scientist’s experiments! And successful ones! These cookies look beautiful and very unusual. I imagine having lots of fun, while asking my guests what these cookies contain! One more impressive achievement!

But, but… they’re so “cookie”-like… I looked at the ingredients list Kelly and I’m a bit shocked. I can’t believe how few ingredients there are, and no ingredients which have any real “substance” really (flour or the like) and yet you’re able to get such a result? They look great – it’s a healthy cookie! (kinda) :D

I know, I know, this is it Charles, there’s nothing going on here that would lead you to believe that it could possibly come out looking anything like a conventional cookie, and yet…I find it all so baffling… makes me very curious about the food chemistry (or mad science ;0) behind it all!

Haha, I do like to experiment that’s for sure. In fact, when I started this whole nutrition journey, recipe modification was what I did most — little changes here and there that add up to big results in the long run. Cheers Sissi.

Thank you for the reminder of the flax egg KoKo – great idea – I should add that to my notes section! Have you crazy cats left on vacation yet? I hope you have a blazing good time! :)

Hello Stephanie! So nice to see you here. We find the banana adds… especially since there’s so little going on here, it lends some much needed bulk – lol – but also flavor. Yummy. Hope you enjoy!

I can hardly believe I actually got that picture… seems like a pretty unlikely pose :) — one of my faves too!

Oh that’s too funny — the cat definitely behaves like a dog I’d say and Stella, well, she’ll do anything she needs to for a cuddle & a kibble :O).

Eva, I couldn’t stop thinking about your GF beauties…I’m so glad you posted them because I don’t think I would have ever arrived at this recipe without that inspiration. I’ve never made a cookie quite like this one before. Lots of fun and well loved by all over here. Thank you! :)

16. Barb Bamber says

I love Eva’s blog as well:) I’m glad she inspired you.. these are amazing, almost too good to be true with so few ingredients! Lovely little goofballs too!! xx

17. mjskit @mjskitchen.com says

That’s amazing that these puff up like that with only 1 egg. They do look good and I will definitely take the word of teenage boys to determine the “goodness” of a cookie! :) The picture of your puppy and kitty is absolutely hilarious!!!!

18. Kitchen Belleicious says

those look delicious and I love the banana addition. PB and banana is one of my favorite combinations

19. Sherrie says

We love these and they’ve been a lifesaver with all of our terrible allergies. :) They’ve tasted wonderful everytime, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do about the color. Mine always turn out so dark (like a dark brown) and you can’t see the chocolate chips. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps using fresher bananas? We always use ones from the freezer. Would love some feedback. :)

• kelly says

Hi Sherrie, thanks for stopping by. So happy to hear that you’re enjoying the cookies. That’s so interesting about the color… I wouldn’t have thought the frozen banana would change it quite to that extent once baked but it sounds like the oxidization process may in fact be the culprit. Try using ripe fresh bananas and see if that lightens things up for you. Also, a tip for the chocolate chips: once you have your cookie batter laid out on the baking sheet, add another chip or two (or three :) to the top of each cookie (pressing down very gently to adhere) — these additions should be visible on the baked cookie! Enjoy and if you have a moment, please let me know how it goes… ♡

• kelly says

something else that occurs to me – i think i may have mentioned this in the post but the batter itself tends to oxidize fairly quickly (it’s harmless, the banana just darkens as all natural foods do when exposed to air) but if you prefer the lighter look, maybe skip the 20 firming in fridge part and drop onto the cookie sheet straight away — cheers.