Flourless Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

These cookies are probably the most unusual love bites I’ve ever made.

Unusual, in part, because they are not only grain free but also flour free – no dehydrated chickpeas or coconuts here!

But what amazes me most about these little puppies is that despite their lack of flour, baking soda/powder, butter and refined sugars, they puff up beautifully as though they were… yes, almost a customary cookie.  It’s like a mad science project gone right.

Are they edible you ask?

Well, if my teenage sons are anything to go by, that would be a big yes with another batch please mom!

The inspiration for this recipe comes from my lovely friend Eva over at Kitchen Inspirations. As soon as I laid eyes on her Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies, I was instantly transfixed and couldn’t stop obsessing about how to make them mine, all mine – Mu-Ah, Ha-Ha-Ha!! (that’s my mad scientist cackle). Thank you Eva!

I’ve made these cookies at least a half dozen times and each time, they turn out slightly differently.  Sometimes puffy and airy (very light weight almost as light as meringue but with a lovely pb/banana flavor).  Other times, they are slightly more dense and chewy — no idea what accounts for the difference.  Try the experiment in your own labs and see what happens!

Flourless Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

Flourless Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)

• 1 cup all natural smooth peanut butter  or almond butter — make sure you have fully stirred the nut butter (the oil naturally separates from the ground nuts and needs to be smoothly integrated) — this will assist in avoiding oily runoff
  • 1 large ripe banana – make sure it is fresh and not frozen
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1/2 cup quality dark chocolate chips* + a few more for topping

Makes about 16 cookies

1. This cookie batter is best prepared all at once.  Even if you don’t plan on eating 16 cookies, I recommend using all the batter and freezing or reserving the baked cookies for later use rather than saving half the batter as it does not age well (the banana tends to oxidize as all natural/real foods do!).
  2. You can use any nut butter of choice in this recipe.
  3. You don’t need a blender/food processor for this recipe.  I use a simple hand mixer that I’ve had kicking around for years – still works great.
  4. *Soy free and sugar free dark chocolate chips are available at health food stores.  You can also make your own dark chocolate chips if preferred.
  5. You can substitute the egg in this recipe by using 3 Tbsp of tepid water and 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed (flax meal).  Whisk ground flaxseed into water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes until a gelatinous mixture results resembling a raw egg.  Add the entire mixture to the recipe in place of the egg.

Heat oven to 325 F.

1. Using a simple hand mixer, food processor or blender, mix together peanut butter, banana and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
  2. Add egg and maple syrup or honey and mix to combine.
  3. Mix in dark chocolate chips by hand with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.
  4. Place mixture in fridge for about 20 minutes to allow it to firm slightly.
  5. Place parchment paper over a baking sheet and gently brush or spray the paper with olive oil.
  6. Drop peanut butter cookies onto sheet by rounded tablespoons allowing room between the cookies (they will expand and puff up somewhat).  Add another chip or two to the top of each cookie.
  7. Place cookies in oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the undersides are lightly brown and the exterior is just firm to the touch.
  8. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a rack for a few minutes before enjoying!
© Inspired Edibles

Nothing like warm cookies and a cold glass of milk
for dairy free, enjoy: hemp, coconut, almond or brown rice
Hard to believe there is no flour in this creamy, delicious batter
I find it impossible not to smile at the sight of these two goofballs ;o)
Enjoy!
It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Comments

1. Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel says

OMG that is the funniest picture of the “kids” on the couch!!! haha…I LOVE IT :) And these cookies are totally getting made over here at my house. I can’t get over that ingredient list!!!! Absolute Perfection Kelly :)

2. Sonia! The Healthy Foodie says

Oh my goodness, that batter!!!! Why did you even bother baking the cookies? I’d serve the batter in a bowl with a spoon! ;)

Ha! The batter is pretty delightful on its own – I’m with y’a sister. I make so many unbaked bars and desserts, I think my sons feel somewhat mainstream when I actually bake cookies ;0).

Are they not hilarious? Couple of kooks! They keep me constantly entertained :). Let me know how the experiment goes Sandra — hope you and your boys enjoy!!

5. Eva Taylor says

What a great cookie, and I am SO FLATTERED that you’ve taken that recipe and bumped it up a notch. I’m definitely making these for my brother (he is avoiding gluten for health reasons) — you should have seen him with the pb version I made, as soon as he found out they were GF he was inhaling them. I know he loves banana’s and chocolate so this will be perfect.

Your dynamic duo look like a crazy bunch, who sleeps like that? Does the dog think he’s a cat or does the cat think he’s a dog?

Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

6. Angie says

I just had to LOL a few times to see your two babies lying on the sofa that way…too dang adorable.
    Peanut butter cookies look divine!

Ohhhhh my god….replace that egg with a flax egg and hand me the batter with a spoon! I don’t even think I could wait to eat these until they came out of the oven. I’m sure there would be some spatula and bowl lickin’! However, I learned my lesson about eating cookie dough (raw eggs and all) as a child….the hard way.

And I just LOOOVE that picture of your pets- they are soo funny. I have that blanket, too ;-)

8. Sissi_Withaglass.com says

Kelly, I feel as if most of your recipes were (not maybe mad) scientist’s experiments! And successful ones! These cookies look beautiful and very unusual. I imagine having lots of fun, while asking my guests what these cookies contain! One more impressive achievement!

But, but… they’re so “cookie”-like… I looked at the ingredients list Kelly and I’m a bit shocked. I can’t believe how few ingredients there are, and no ingredients which have any real “substance” really (flour or the like) and yet you’re able to get such a result? They look great – it’s a healthy cookie! (kinda) :D

I know, I know, this is it Charles, there’s nothing going on here that would lead you to believe that it could possibly come out looking anything like a conventional cookie, and yet…I find it all so baffling… makes me very curious about the food chemistry (or mad science ;0) behind it all!

Haha, I do like to experiment that’s for sure. In fact, when I started this whole nutrition journey, recipe modification was what I did most — little changes here and there that add up to big results in the long run. Cheers Sissi.

Thank you for the reminder of the flax egg KoKo – great idea – I should add that to my notes section! Have you crazy cats left on vacation yet? I hope you have a blazing good time! :)

Hello Stephanie! So nice to see you here. We find the banana adds… especially since there’s so little going on here, it lends some much needed bulk – lol – but also flavor. Yummy. Hope you enjoy!

I can hardly believe I actually got that picture… seems like a pretty unlikely pose :) — one of my faves too!

Oh that’s too funny — the cat definitely behaves like a dog I’d say and Stella, well, she’ll do anything she needs to for a cuddle & a kibble :O).

Eva, I couldn’t stop thinking about your GF beauties…I’m so glad you posted them because I don’t think I would have ever arrived at this recipe without that inspiration. I’ve never made a cookie quite like this one before. Lots of fun and well loved by all over here. Thank you! :)

16. Barb Bamber says

I love Eva’s blog as well:) I’m glad she inspired you.. these are amazing, almost too good to be true with so few ingredients! Lovely little goofballs too!! xx

17. mjskit @mjskitchen.com says

That’s amazing that these puff up like that with only 1 egg. They do look good and I will definitely take the word of teenage boys to determine the “goodness” of a cookie! :) The picture of your puppy and kitty is absolutely hilarious!!!!

18. Kitchen Belleicious says

those look delicious and I love the banana addition. PB and banana is one of my favorite combinations

19. Sherrie says

We love these and they’ve been a lifesaver with all of our terrible allergies. :) They’ve tasted wonderful everytime, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do about the color. Mine always turn out so dark (like a dark brown) and you can’t see the chocolate chips. Is there anything I can do? Perhaps using fresher bananas? We always use ones from the freezer. Would love some feedback. :)

• kelly says

Hi Sherrie, thanks for stopping by. So happy to hear that you’re enjoying the cookies. That’s so interesting about the color… I wouldn’t have thought the frozen banana would change it quite to that extent once baked but it sounds like the oxidization process may in fact be the culprit. Try using ripe fresh bananas and see if that lightens things up for you. Also, a tip for the chocolate chips: once you have your cookie batter laid out on the baking sheet, add another chip or two (or three :) to the top of each cookie (pressing down very gently to adhere) — these additions should be visible on the baked cookie! Enjoy and if you have a moment, please let me know how it goes… ♡

• kelly says

something else that occurs to me – i think i may have mentioned this in the post but the batter itself tends to oxidize fairly quickly (it’s harmless, the banana just darkens as all natural foods do when exposed to air) but if you prefer the lighter look, maybe skip the 20 firming in fridge part and drop onto the cookie sheet straight away — cheers.

20. jennifer says

Made these for my kids. They are so good, but I had a problem with the batter separating. There was a lot of oil that baked out of the cookies… I’m guessing from the peanut butter. Still super tasty and probably few calories…right?!? ;)

• kelly says

Hi Jennifer! thanks so much for stopping by, I’m so pleased to hear that you’re enjoying these cookies. So interesting, I’ve never had oil bake out of them. My best suggestion regarding the separation is to make sure you fully mix the natural peanut butter or almond butter before incorporating it into the batter. Let me know how it goes!

21. Lauren says

I just made these. They’re delicious, but mine turned out as thin as paper and chewy. I chilled the batter for twenty minutes, and then put the batter back in the fridge in between each cookie sheet, but they were all paper thin. Very bizarre.

• Lauren says

Hi Kelly,

I live at normal altitude (about 500 feet). I don’t have a problem with my regular baking not turning out the way it’s supposed to. It’s just this combination of ingredients. I followed the recipe exactly, but the dough was so runny and wouldn’t firm up. It was flattening right out on the cookie sheet before it even went in the oven! And it must have spent an hour in the fridge, total.

I made an EXTREMELY similar recipe (exact same ingredients, just tweaking the number of eggs and bananas slightly) to make muffins back in December and they were really weird, too. The batter was really runny and they didn’t turn out looking anything like the picture.

It’s weird. I just wanted to leave a comment. I’m jealous of your thick cookies! :)

• kelly says

how interesting, I wonder what accounts for the difference… are you using a frozen banana by any chance? something else you can try — put the cookie batter into a small or medium sized muffin tin (this will contain it and prevent it from spreading) :D I’d be so curious to discover what happens!

• Lauren says

Nope, no frozen bananas. I might try the muffin tin next time if I want them to be thicker. They weren’t bad tasting, they were just comically thin.

22. Emily says

Hello,
    I made these cookies tonight. Although the taste is yummy, I had an issue with a significant amount of what I thought was honey, or maybe oil from the peanut butter, running out of the cookies onto the tray? It coated the entire bottom of the baking sheet. I took them out, and actually moved them to another piece of parchment paper to continue cooking, and whatever liquid it was continued to run out. I followed the recipe. It also seemed like the batter was very wet as well. The cookie did end up baking but looks nothing like your photo. The texture is just different. I wonder what the issue was?

• kelly says

Hi Emily! Thanks so much for stopping by and providing feedback. Although I’ve never had the issue myself, (I would describe the batter as creamy), my best recommendation to avoid the release of oil is to make sure that whatever nut butter you are working with has been fully stirred for complete integration of oil and ground nut (the oil naturally separates and if it is not completely mixed it remains that way and I suspect may runoff more easily in this state). Something else you can try, is cooking the batter (each cookie) in a mini or medium sized muffin tin to encase any inadvertent runoff. Also, make sure you are using a fresh (and not from frozen) banana. I do hope this helps. It’s difficult to know the precise cause and different types of nut butters may also give rise to different results. Either way, please let me know how it goes if you try again! Cheers.

• Emily says

Hi Kelly!
        Thanks for your response. I did use fresh banana. That’s a good tip to make sure the PB is fully integrated. Regardless of how they looked/baked-my twin two year old boys loved them & kept asking for more! So that’s a win!

23. Nicole says

It was a tough cookie, convincing my three young cousins (4, 6, and 8 years old) that these sweet treats could be made without flour and heaps of refined sugar. One of them grumbled at the fact that we had to use bananas (he doesn’t eat fruits) while the other two were a lot more open to trying it out — especially when I mentioned the words peanut butter and chocolate chips. Preparing the mix was easy and fun, and the 20-minute cooling/firming period of the mix gave us time to continue a movie that we began before baking (it’s always best to have a movie ready when baking with impatient kids).

The cookies turned out delicious, with the right amount of sweetness, and with a medley of natural flavors at play. I used homemade peanut butter that had a little coconut oil which I think distinctly contributed to the mixture in fragrance. With the lack of refined sugars, the toasted peanuts and ripe bananas stood out well. Our first batch was a tad over-baked, probably because we’re in the Philippines (hello, tropics) and summer (hello, humidity) has just begun, so I took the temperature down a notch to 300 for the second batch. This is a better baking temp. for our climate or this weather in general.

Two of the kids enjoyed the cookies, while the 6 year old claimed that they were fake (“I want cookies with bad sugars and no bananas, next time”) and that he’d give his share to his mom. And so my healthy baking experiment ended with two grateful eaters and one that remains undeterred. On the plus side, the hot chocolate I made for him and the others had Moringga powder. And they all asked for seconds.

• kelly says

Nicole… thank you so much for this amazing note! You made my week (month…) ❤️ — just loved reading about your detailed adventures in the kitchen – complete with movie time – and the frank description of your cousins reactions :) the best!! So pleased to hear that you made these with youngsters and that (for the most part ;-) the cookies were well received and perhaps expanded their ideas of baking without the usual ‘generosity’ of ingredients that we all grew up on :p Good for you for finding a temperature that suits your climate best — experimentation is where it’s at and every environment will give rise (forgive the pun) to different issues, so making adjustments can be very helpful to the outcome. Good for you for having so much fun with your cousins and treating them to this learning experience and kitchen adventure. You’re a star! xx