These cookies are probably the most unusual love bites I’ve ever made.
Unusual, in part, because they are not only grain free but also flour free – no dehydrated chickpeas or coconuts here!
But what amazes me most about these little puppies is that despite their lack of flour, baking soda/powder, butter and refined sugars, they puff up beautifully as though they were… yes, almost a customary cookie. It’s like a mad science project gone right.
Are they edible you ask?
Well, if my teenage sons are anything to go by, that would be a big yes with another batch please mom!
The inspiration for this recipe comes from my lovely friend Eva over at Kitchen Inspirations. As soon as I laid eyes on her Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies, I was instantly transfixed and couldn’t stop obsessing about how to make them mine, all mine – Mu-Ah, Ha-Ha-Ha!! (that’s my mad scientist cackle). Thank you Eva!
I’ve made these cookies at least a half dozen times and each time, they turn out slightly differently. Sometimes puffy and airy (very light weight almost as light as meringue but with a lovely pb/banana flavor). Other times, they are slightly more dense and chewy — no idea what accounts for the difference. Try the experiment in your own labs and see what happens!
- 1 cup all natural smooth peanut butter or almond butter -- make sure you have fully stirred the nut butter (the oil naturally separates from the ground nuts and needs to be smoothly integrated) -- this will assist in avoiding oily runoff
- 1 large ripe banana - make sure it is fresh and not frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup quality dark chocolate chips, plus a few more for topping
- Heat oven to 325 F.
- Using a simple hand mixer, food processor or blender, mix together peanut butter, banana and vanilla until smooth.
- Add egg and maple syrup or honey and mix just to combine.
- Mix in dark chocolate chips by hand with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Place mixture in fridge for about 20 minutes to allow it to firm slightly.
- Place parchment paper over a baking sheet and gently brush or spray the paper with olive oil.
- Drop peanut butter cookies onto sheet by rounded tablespoons allowing room between the cookies (they will expand and puff up somewhat). Add another chip or two to the top of each cookie.
- Place cookies in oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the undersides are lightly brown and the exterior is just firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a rack for a few minutes before enjoying!
The Nut Butter: You can use any nut butter of choice in this recipe, I have found peanut and almond to be the fan favorites here.
Hand Mixer: You don't need a blender/food processor for this recipe. I use a simple hand mixer that I've had kicking around for years - still works great.