Apple Buttermilk Muffins

Since I know you’ve been missing my muffin recipes (that, and the fact that my boys returned to school this week), I busied myself making apple buttermilk muffins this weekend.

I think you’ll like them.  They have a rustic, textured exterior thanks to the whole grains and a moist, full-flavoured interior with only a third of a cup of unrefined sugar.

I will be revisiting this recipe in a special upcoming post on January 23rd – so stay tuned…

Meantime, I was moved to resurrect my Snow Patrol CD yesterday morning. I caught these guys opening for U2 in Toronto a while back.  They rocked the city silly.  Here’s one of my favourite tracks from the spirited Irish band: just say yes.

Apple Buttermilk Muffins (wheat free)
  • 1 cup whole grain oatmeal
  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 1 + 1/2 apples, peeled and quartered (6 quarters)
  • 1/2 cup plump golden raisins
  • 1/3 cup palm sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
—————–

Heat oven to 400 F.

Cut five apple quarters into small dice and cut remaining quarter into 12 thin slices for garnish. (Note: I used the better part of an apple in the recipe pictured for my ‘thin’ slices – they’re more like chunky pieces).

In a large bowl, combine: oats, spelt, raisins, palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.  Mix in the diced apple.

In a separate bowl, whisk together: eggs, buttermilk, olive oil, apple sauce and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry mixing only until combined.

Divide batter among 12 muffin cups topping each with an apple slice from reserved quarter. Bake until muffins are beginning to brown around edges and are firm to the touch – 16 to 18 minutes.

Allow muffins to cool slightly before enjoying.

Comments

Snow Patrol always manages to put me in an awesome mood! Now I’m going to have to listen to them this AM.

I’m always looking for ways to use up buttermilk. These look delicious!

Snow Patrol! There’s a blast from my past :) I need to go root around in my itunes…

Awesome muffins! Your boys are so lucky to have a mom that makes healthy AND yummy breakfast treats

3. Lisa says

Mmm, I bet your kitchen smelled amazing this morning. I love how you used olive oil in these muffins and palm sugar too. I’m pinning this recipe!

Another reason to use my spelt flour! I think this was a gentle reminder that you didn’t realize you were doing!! They look very moist and full of flavor. Love how they all look with the apple slice!!

awww i didn’t know that u had boys! how cute! how old? i teach middle school btw :). i love muffins~ i can’t wait to make them in batches for my family! i usually give all my baked goods away to my friends since my parents can’t eat them all. :)

I love these flourless muffins! I am sure I would love them (I love oats in everything savoury or salty). Thank you for the wonderful idea and for the link. Actually I know and like a lot this song, but I didn’t know the group’s name!

Were you at the concert this past summer? We were in Toronto then as well. We watched the concert from the CN Tower. :) These muffins look great – and I love that they have a moist interior. Nothing beats a good moist muffin. Off to check out the music now. I’ve been listening to – David Gray today (not Irish – but British). ;)

Heavily dig David Gray – Babylon is my favourite track (I listen to it repeatedly ;0)

The U2 concert was in Sept. ’09 -

I seriously LOVE coming to your blog.. You and Lisa always have alternative ways I can make my favorite foods. And I love a good muffin in the morning..these look delish

Even if you said they should be “thin”, I love the fact that they have a great big delicious chunk of apple on top… too yummy! The whole “rustic” look is great too :) Love apple muffins and “cinnamon and golden raisins”….. aaaah yeah! Couple of these, nice cup of tea… nice :)

Ha.ha… they’re actually not an old band but yes, it had been a while for me too. I’m not sure if they’ll ever grow to the fame of U2 but they’ve got a good thing going for sure. Have a brilliant day Parsley Sage!

Thanks Greg – the topping is what i fell in love with… but they also happen to taste pretty groovy too.

Thanks Sissi! I can’t say they are flourless but they are wheat free – even though they contain gluten many folks with sensitivities to wheat find spelt easier to tolerate. Have a great day!

Yay for honey bunny (too funny, that’s what i call my sons when i’m beginning to lose my patience… so, the saying in this house is “when you get the honey bunnies, you better watch out!” LOL.

Thanks so much Charles – I love the chunk too and the baking softens it just enough so that it doesn’t assault the senses :) I hope you’re settling back comfortably into your home and work routine.

Thanks Alyssa – as long as my husband doesn’t gobble them all first (lol), the kids love having these for snack in their lunchbox.

Yeah, because coming back to just shy of 17,000 emails is the perfect way to start work again after a vacation :p Slowly but surely – I bet some of these muffins would help me settle back in much more quickly :D

Oh dear… that does seem like a lot of emails.

Muffins are definitely soothing :) ~ Cheers Charles – have a great day.

Like you, Kelly, when I make muffins, I bake them in smaller muffing cups rather than humungeous forms they do at coffee shops. It is a lot more economic and healthy too; plus if you’re starving you can have two! This recipe sounds delightful, I love the texture that oatmeal provides. Could you increase the apple sauce and not add the oil?

I like muffins more than cupcakes. These look healthy and delicious…wouldn’t even feel guilty to have a couple of them for the breakfast!

Commercial muffins can be over the top, so to speak ;0, size wise and otherwise. Yes, you can sub 1/2 cup apple sauce instead of the 1/4 cup olive oil if you like – should work out fine. 1/4 of olive oil spread over 12 muffins isn’t much though and monounsaturated fats have wonderful health building properties – just something to keep in mind. Have a great day Eva!

I love Snow Patrol!! Chasing Cars is one of my favorite songs :)

These muffins look great! Perfect for a breakfast on the go. I keep meaning to bake Nate up something…I’m bookmarking this one- I might as well make it a tasty AND healthy recipe since I know I’m going to end up scarfing a couple hot out of the oven :)