Blueberry Bliss Breakfast Bars (No-Bake, Vegan, Gluten Free, Naturally Sweetened)

blueberry bliss breakfast bars_blog_1
Even under the least desirable conditions (rain, snow, sleet, ice, and let’s not forget those – 40 C wind chill temperatures), I always come back to thinking that walking my dog first thing in the morning is pretty much the best possible way to start the day.

An ideal opportunity to welcome the new and rinse out the old before the chaos of the inevitable takes over and the monkey mind sets in.

And this time of year, well, it’s hard not to be in love with the outdoors. Everything is lush, fresh and inviting.   Flashes of life and color on every corner.

Even our cat is getting in on the action!  Our frolicking feline will actually walk to the park with us (au naturel) and hang out while we throw balls with our dog. Then, unprompted, he makes the pilgrimage home, several blocks, turns and obstacles away. Considering most cats have a brain the size of an edamame bean, I find it rather remarkable.  The sense of direction, the desire to socialize, the ability to navigate. It’s mysterious and miraculous to me all at once.  Cats are utterly cool creatures.

Here’s to your morning glory!

Blueberry Bliss Breakfast Bars_blog_2
Update *2015* – I’m delighted to report that these humble bars have been viewed by you over 1 million times (crazy, but true!) — many of the questions you have about them have been answered in the comments section (scroll down towards the bottom/more recent dialogue) and I have also captured common themes in the Notes section of the recipe card below.  Enjoy and Cheers to your Health ~

3.5 from 2 reviews
A delicious all natural protein bar that is gluten-free, vegan and naturally sweetened
Serves: Makes 16 bars
  • 1 + ½ cups 100% pure, uncontaminated, rolled oats certified Gluten Free
  • ¾ cup whole almonds
  • Heaping ½ cup dried blueberries
  • ½ cup pistachios
  • ⅓ cup ground flaxseed
  • ⅓ cup walnuts
  • ⅓ cup pepitas
  • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
  • ⅓ cup pure maple syrup or honey
  • ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 cup almond butter
  1. Line an 8"x 8" (or so) baking pan with parchment or wax paper such that the paper hangs over the edges (the pan I used is 7" x 10").
  2. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
  3. Add maple syrup or honey and apple sauce and mix to combine.
  4. Add almond butter to mixture and mix until combined.
  5. Place batter in prepared pan pressing down firmly with palm of hands (or mini-roller if you have one) and distributing as evenly as possible.
  6. Allow pan to sit in freezer for approximately 1 hour.
  7. Remove pan from freezer. Lift singular slab from pan by lifting up on paper. Set slab down and gently peel paper away. Slice slab diagonally into 8 long bars and then cut each long bar in half to create a total of 16 bars. I find these bars keep best in a sealed container/bag in the freezer.
The Crumble Factor - all natural bars do not contain fillers and binders that allow the bars to gel together the way manufactured commercials bars do. You will sacrifice some integrity (and have to put up with some crumbling) but on balance, I think the natural bar is worth the slight inconvenience. Outside the freezer these bars do not do as well but you could use travelling/lunchbox ice packs to keep them together somewhat.
Substitutions & Deletions - you can substitute any nut/seed of choice (or nut/seed butter) or dried fruit as desired (sliced apricot, cranberries, cherries, dates & fig are all delicious here). However if you remove ingredient classes without replacing them, these bars will not work in the same way.
Are Oats really Gluten Free? - pure oatmeal does not contain gluten however many commercially sold oats do due to cross-contamination issues. If you are gluten sensitive or have celiac disease, be sure to seek out certified 'gluten-free' oatmeal.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 52 grams Calories: 232 Fat: 16.2 g Saturated fat: 1.6 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 15.2 g Sugar: 5.1 g Sodium: 2 mg Fiber: 3.8 Protein: 8.1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg
blueberry bliss bars_1
A bowl full of goodness
 blueberry bliss bars_2
Try not to eat all the batter!
blueberry bliss bars_3
Press down firmly so that everything sticks together
blueberry bliss bars_4
Voila! your slab ready to be cut into bars
blueberry bliss bars_5
blueberry bliss bars_6 Monsieur Black ~ Handsome Devil! (always in formal wear ;o)
blueberry bliss bars_7
blueberry bliss bars_8
In 1945, the Dutch Royal Family sent 100,000 tulip bulbs to Ottawa
in gratitude for Canadians sheltering Princess Juliana and her daughters
during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands
Today, Ottawa showcases over 1 million tulips in its Annual Tulip Festivalblueberry bliss bars_9
It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

1. Radha Natarajan says

Really love all your recipes as they are so full of healthy ingredients and everything I try out from here is always a sucess! thanks for sharing such delighful healthy bites and love your write ups too.

Well thank you Radha for making my day! Truly kind of you to take the time to drop in and share your thoughts. I’m delighted to hear that my work here is serving you well – big smiles ;O) :O) :O)

3. Emilie@TheCleverCarrot says

Beautiful, beautiful recipe. This has ‘me’ written all over it! I love the flavor of blueberry in these kinds of bars (especially with coconut!) and flaxseed is one of my personal favorites. Wonderful ingredients Kelly! I bet these go really fast in your house ;) And yes, cats are utterly cool creatures- yours is quite the handsome devil! xx

Haha, thank you Emilie! Mr. Black (oops, sorry, he prefers ‘Monsieur’) cracks us up. I chuckled reading about the gifts your cat presents you with… I had a cat like that when I was young… I think Black recognizes I don’t have the stomach for it and gives that part of our relationship a miss ;O). Thank you for all your kind words — you can absolutely add coconut and sub anything you like here! They are super yummy…

5. Lynn Jones says

I really love all your recipes. I want to give this one a try as well but I’m having trouble finding pepitas. I live in a small village outside of Ottawa but I’m in the city frequently. Could you tell me where you purchase yours? When all else fails, I substitute sunflower seeds.

Another great take on breakfast bars, you are the bar queen! Well, that did not sound that lovely, does it? Forgive me, it’s early and caffeine is still kicking in

Did not know about the tulips, very beautiful… almost as beautiful and elegant as your cat ;0)

Hi Lynn! I usually get my ingredients at Kardish on Bank Street (Glebe) – I find the store generally well stocked and clean. There are several Kardish locations throughout Ottawa. You can also try the Natural Food Pantry and Bulk Barn. But truly any seed would work here. Have a great day!

Haha! My husband says the same thing about my bar creations — he thinks I should start selling them (I think it’s sometimes challenging for the hubbies to see their wives work so hard at something without receiving direct monetary compensation – lol – he’s always working the business angle!). Aren’t the tulips something? The royal family has kept up the tradition annually – sending more each year; I just think it’s such a beautiful story too. Have a beautiful day Sally – xo.

Ohhhhh these look so good! The pistachios are like hidden gems in them! These would be so good made with a flavoured honey from my local market…ahhhh I want them now!

Your cat is so pretty and that is so funny that he follows you all the way to the park. I love that!!

Beautiful tulips, too! If I drive across the border for a couple hours, we hit a town called La Connor and it’s just field after field of tulips in the Spring…it’s such a neat sight!!

10. beyondthepeel says

I can’t wait to make these. They sound delicious. I was just thinking how I needed snack bars for my crazy busy days like the ones I’m having now! I love my morning walk with my dog. It IS the best was to start the day. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

How cool is that! Your cat walks to the park, hangs out and walks home. Ours don’t get to venture outside. I’m sure they would bolt and be lost for good. That said, they are clever so you never know. And I love the term “monkey mind.” I’m going to use that from now on. It’s the perfect way to describe my mental state at times. :) Your bars look fantastic. You know we love our blueberries. I do think you have become the queen of granola bars. I can see the varieties lined up on the shelves of health food stores now with the label “Inspired Edibles.” :)

12. Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel says

I think that is so amazing that Monsieur Black will join you on your walks…that is so neat how he will follow you unprompted! He probably doesn’t want to miss out on the action.

Your bars sound wonderful….I have to look around for some dried blueberries because they sound like they would be perfect. Actually I wonder if I could make my own??? Well you’ve given me something new to try now!!! :)

13. mjskit says

I totally agree that cats are utterly cool creatures! And SO smart! We’ve had several cats over the years and at this point, it would be quite hard for me to switch over to a dog. You know that I could probably just live on all of your wonderful energy bars and this one is not exception! It looks so crunchy and chewy and utterly delicious!
    I know I’m late with this, but I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!

I’m with you KoKo, I love the bright flecks of green that the pistachios deliver – so vibrant and full of life. I remember making a few trips to the town of Washington when I summered in Vancouver… fun proximity!

Hi Kristy, thank you for your kind words — nothing would make my husband happier than seeing my bars in a health food store :)

I wish I could take credit for ‘monkey mind’ but yes, it pretty much sums up our common state of mind, doesn’t it? ;o).

Hi Sandra, Black is a pretty cool dude, isn’t he? He really does make me wonder in a good way.

I think you should absolutely experiment with dehydrating blueberries! Can’t wait to hear how it works out.

I love them both! I don’t see it as a one over the other — kind of like apples and oranges, they deliver completely different things but I’m not sure I could live without either :o).

hahaha, i can’t believe your cat walks to the park with you!!! Omg, I wish my cat could do that. If she was even allowed outside she’d run away the first chance she had. But she’s declawed so i’m paranoid about her getting outside.

So on to these bars. That picture of the almond butter cascading into the bowl….holy cow. I want some of these now!

Kelly, you are the queen of healthy sweet energy bars! These look irresistible and so easy to prepare! (Although I’m sure that in my case they wouldn’t look half as good as yours).
    You are so right about the dog walking! I haven’t had a dog for many years now but I remember that as much as I hated walking it when the weather was bad or when I was in a “stay at home” mood, once I came back, I felt so much better. Morning walks, as you say, were particularly pleasant.
    You have reminded me that I liked tulips a lot, much more than expensive roses (though only when they grow; I hate cut flowers). It’s such a lovely spring post!

20. Eva Taylor says

I was wondering where you were off to with that first paragraph — sleet and snow in Ottawa in May? Not far off, we had snow last Sunday, hail in Toronto and a real snow storm in the Muskokas. What is Monkey brain?

My hubby’s family had a cat when he was growing up that would go on long walks with them ‘au natural’ as you put it. Right now, I’m rather annoyed at the cats in our neighbourhood (or the owners is more like it) because they sleep in our back yard on our furniture so I have to brush off the cushions from cat hair before I can even think of sitting out. And they aggravate the squirrels and birds who like to come around to our feeder. Not to mention their stinky poop. I’m not much of a cat person, sorry. I prefer dogs and bunnies because they are better behaved.

I love them too! They’ve got this great chewy texture that makes them taste naughty even though they’re not ;o)

FYI: No bake is not the same as raw. This is not a raw recipe, but a delicious no-bake vegan one.

And, I have to agree: the BEST start to the day is a walk with the four-legged fur kid (even in a raging blizzard). ツ

Yeah, we find it kind of remarkable that he makes the journey too. He has always been such a social guy; he cracks us up :). Have a great weekend Amy!

These bars are super easy to make… really small (invisible?) margin of error which is a good thing for a clumsy baker like me :). That’s precisely how I feel about the morning walks — even on the days when I’m really not in the mood, once I’m out the door, I’m already feeling grateful for the day ;o).

Thanks for dropping by Mother Earth and weighing in on the real deal. It’s true that most commercial rolled oats
    are gently steamed. On the other hand,the process of converting nuts and seeds into meal, flour and/or butter also involves heating so at a certain point, I find these distinctions spurious. Unless you’re pulling it up from the ground or off a tree, all food is processed/changed to some degree. Cheers.

I found this recipe online somewhere a couple of years ago – I guess it was you? A different looking website. Anyway. I am obsessed and ALWAYS have them on hand in my freezer. I have always made them with dried cranberries – but after doing a cleanse recently I will try them with a no-added-sugar dried fruit next time I make them. They are awesome. Don’t try them with sunflower butter – I did and it was no bueno. They don’t travel too well (break apart when they warm up a bit) but I just plan accordingly or throw them in a bag with a cold pack. YUM.

• kelly says

Hi Amy! Thank you so much for stopping by. Yes, it was me all along :) I changed blogging platforms in the fall of 2014 — new look with greater functionality and photographic amplitude. The comment section did not migrate well which is unfortunate (I may try and fix the order up at some point), but overall the transition was smooth.

I’m pleased to receive your feedback — I agree, the bars do best stored in the freezer and do not travel particularly well. I do occasionally tuck them into containers and travel with them on ice (cold pack as you say) the boys have also enjoyed them in their lunch boxes when packed this way. It’s fun to experiment with different butters even if you end up coming back to a favorite (too bad they cost so much though). I’m so pleased that you’re enjoying these bars and greatly appreciate you taking the time to let me know. Cheers.

27. Bernadette says

I absolutely love the flavor packed into this recipe! Nutty, with just the right amount of sweet from the blueberries and almond butter.

Can you share any tips as to help hold the bar together when I cut them?

My bars crumbled a bit upon cutting them, and if I don’t eat it immediately from the freezer it will crumble as well. Outside of this, I love the recipe and will continue to make them (even if they don’t hold together just right). D E L I C I O U S !!!

• kelly says

wonderful Bernadette! Thank you for letting me know. My best suggestion would be to add a bit more of the wet ingredients — apple sauce or nut butter — or ease off on some of the dry to see if you achieve greater adherence. The nature of these bars though is that they will almost always have some crumble effect because they don’t contain artificial binders and emulsifiers the way commercial bars/baked goods do (polysorbate 80, lecithin, carrageenan, polyglycerols, xanthan and/or other “gums” are almost always present in processed foods to prevent separation). If you wanted to be experimental, you could try a pinch of potato starch (natural) to see if this helps with binding. Let me know if you give it a try! I would love to hear the result. Cheers and thank you again for your feedback.

28. Bernadette says

Kelly, thank you. Crumbly, or not, they truly are amazing! I will try to use a bit more applesauce next time. This is a healthy treat, I actually have to fight with my teenage son for! (well, not really fight ;) )

• kelly says

love it Bernadette! I have to race my teenage sons for these bars too! (and that’s a good problem to have with teenagers, right?) :p

29. Colin Svanberg says

Loved the photo of your cat (hope he’s still well) and the tulips. This will be my first attempt at making a healthy bar and I don’t think I could ever get a better and more delicious recipe to start with, although I’ve never heard of some of the ingredients and hope I don’t look like a right royal idiot if I ask for the wrong thing in my health food store (which I very rarely visit). I want to climb a little way (a very little way) up the Matterhorn in a few months and the bars will help me with the energy I need and they should be OK as they will be kept nice and cool going up there!Thank you for sharing.

• kelly says

Thank you Colin, this note brought me the biggest smile. In terms of our nutrition journeys, we all have to start somewhere so please don’t ever feel awkward or embarrassed about that — if I can help out in any way, just let me know. Climbing the Matterhorn sounds like quite the undertaking — spectacular! I hope my bars measure up and survive the voyage :o). All the best on your exciting journey — please let me know how the bars turn out if you end up giving them a go. Cheers and thank you kindly for dropping by.

p.s. Monsieur Black is in fine form and loving the longer hunting season here in CA :)

30. Julie says

I made the Breakfast Bars, minus the Blueberries and my picky Hubby loved them! First time I ever made anything home-made. Thank you!

• kelly says

Julie! How great is that? I’m thrilled to hear that it worked out and thank you for giving them a try. I have a new bar that I’m testing out right now, let’s hope it’s another hubby winner :). Yay!! so great of you to take the time to let me know; truly appreciate it. Have a beautiful day!

31. Terri says

Good Morning, I am trying to be grain free and need some of your thoughts for what to replace the oatmeal with. Also, I was thinking of trying a fall flavored bar by substituting the applesauce with pumpkin puree, adding some pumpkin pie spices and possibly dried carrots or ground up carrots instead of the fruit. Thanks so much! I am totally excited about trying your recipe! Terri

• kelly says

Hi Terri, thank you for connecting and apologies for the delay. I don’t believe I have ever made a grain-free bar (gluten-free and nut-free, but not grain free) so that’s something I would have to develop in order to give accurate feedback on. I find with bars, it’s all about experimentation and it’s amazing how small changes can add up to big differences in result (both successful and unsuccessful) — you could try a straight sub of pumpkin puree in place of the apple sauce in this recipe (and maybe mix in some cinnamon/nutmeg for flavoring) to see how you like it — at one point I did try a fall flavored one but I think I tried to change too many things in the original recipe and in the end, it was not nearly as good. Trial and error — sometimes you get lucky and land a gem :)

32. Schmurr says

These look really good. My dad is all about healthy eating so I literally just put the batter in the freezer, it’s going to his birthday gift. However, my final product (before putting into the pan) didn’t look quite like yours did, it may be due to the fact that almond butter was unavailable to me. Will that have an affect on the bars?

• kelly says

Hello there! How wonderful that you are making these as a gift for your dad – I’m certain he will appreciate your thoughtfulness (and hopefully enjoy the bars too!). I wasn’t certain from your note whether you substituted a different butter in place of the almond (like peanut butter for example) or omitted it from the recipe all together. A substitution might change the taste but should work consistency wise but omitting the butter all together would not work because it is a substantial part of the recipe… I hope it was the former :) would love to hear how it went!

• kelly says

Yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed the taste of these bars and thank you for dropping in with your feedback. Homemade bars do not contain artificial binders and fillers, etc. the way commercial bars do — on balance, I’m okay with a little stickiness ;-)

33. Sonia says

my husband and I absolutely ADORE these. We are trying to get back on track and got a trainer. She wrote us a plan and told us to eat protein bars for one meal when we have serious workouts. Well, I HATE ALL PROTEIN BARS OUT there. so this was a great source of protein and it was delicious. We even take it on the road when we travel to save on snacking. Thank you for such an amazing recipe. I omitted the walnuts because my hubby is not a fan but it still came out amazing!

• kelly says

What a lovely note – thank you Sonia. I’m delighted to hear that these bars are working out so well for you and I also think it’s wonderful that you and your husband are working towards your health goals together. I love your enthusiasm and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. By the way, you could always sub a different nut in place of the walnut if you feel like experimenting :) Cheers to you and your husband!

34. Emma says

I really want to make these!! Could you tell me what mg of vitamin a, vitamin c, calcium and iron is in each bar?

• kelly says

Hello Emma, I’m delighted to hear your enthusiasm for these bars… they are a favorite in our home and with the Inspired Edibles community :) I hope you love them too!

The Nutrition Facts panel in the recipe card above provides an estimate of the percentage daily value (based on a 2,000 calorie diet) of vitamin A and C, calcium and iron per 52 mg serving size of these bars but I don’t have the means to accurately break that down for you in milligrams. Hopefully nothing turns on that level of precision and you can still enjoy these bars. Cheers.

35. Nicole says

Can’t wait to try these for my constantly-in-need-of-food teenage son!
    Is there a way to print out the recipe?

• kelly says

Heeheeh, yes, I just happen to know a little something about the appetite of teenage boys :p I hope your son enjoys these bars as much as ours do!

I switched over to wordpress (blogging platform) in the fall of 2014 with a different print functionality than the one that is currently attached to this post (blogger) so regrettably, at the moment, printing is not available (though that will get remedied) — in the meantime, I would be glad to send you the recipe via email and you could simply print from there. You can reach me at Kelly [at] trinitynutrition [dot] ca.

36. Anne says

Hello Kelly.

I have just found your health slice recipe. It looks so delicious and healthy. If you don’t mind I would love to have a copy of your recipe. I noticed from your reply to the previous persons email that the print functionality is not working at present. I am always looking for new recipes as my family are all very much into health and fitness. Plus, I have some who are vegan. I know they would absolutely love this health bar.

Many thanks Kelly.

Anne from Australia

• kelly says

Good Morning Anne, I’m delighted to hear you will be giving these bars a try and even more excited to let you know that I have just updated the post with compatible print function. For best results, please read through the Notes section of the recipe card and if you have a moment, drop in to let me know how you made out. I always love hearing from my readers. Have a beautiful day :)

37. Rachel says

Hello- Can you share the nutrition information? I read through all your comments and saw you mentioned a nutrition facts panel, but I don’t see it.

• kelly says

Hello Rachel, you will find the nutrition information at the bottom of the recipe card in the post. Additional information that the new format does not allow for: Vitamin A: 1% Calcium: 7% Vitamin C 1% Iron 9% based on a 2000 calorie diet. Cheers and have a great day.

38. Hedel says

Their delicious… how do you cut it so well?
    Is it my bad knife? I sharpened it. I find the blueberries don’t cut well and break up the bar.
    I’m trying to give the recipe five stars but it won’t let me… hmmm…

• kelly says

Hello Hedel, thank you for dropping by, I’m so pleased to hear you like the taste of these bars! There is definitely some crumble effect with natural bars (it’s one of those small but unavoidable trade-offs of using natural ingredients versus the binders/fillers and gelling agents found in commercial bars). Having said that, slicing the bars when they are frozen with singular strong strokes (not a sawing action) may help improve integrity — a bit like slicing biscotti if you have ever made them – you want to commit to the slice by going fully through the bar with the knife. By the way, something else you could try with the batter is shaping it into bite-sized balls instead of laying it out in a pan — freezing the balls and enjoying them as blueberry bliss bites rather than bars will allow you to avoid the slicing issue all together :). I hope this info helps.

Thank you for trying to select the 5 stars – sometimes the rate recipe function is not fully operational it seems (not sure why) but I appreciate the sentiment. Have a lovely day and thank you again for trying this recipe.

39. Kipp says

I made these bars this morning and I knew as I was adding the ingredients to the bowl that the taste would have to be wonderful. I had no problem cutting them into bars, although I only yielded 14 good size bars. I thought cutting any smaller would add to the crumble factor. I had no crumble at all. They are sticky! As I was reading the comments I was torn on whether to even try them because of having to keep them in the freezer. I have an athlete-teen who I need to provide healthy bars to on the go. I though, oh well, these will just be our in-house bars. But then the light bulb went on. Heating honey to 270F, or what is called the hard ball stage, will bind these beauties together without having to keep them in the freezer. I may have to raise the amount of honey and lower the amount of applesauce a bit, but I think it might work well. My go-to bars use this method, using 1/2 cup honey to 3 cups drying ingredients (1-1/2 nuts, 1-1/2 coconut). This recipe has 4-1/2 dry ingredients, so I am figuring 3/4 cup honey should do it. At slightly over $17 in ingredients in the pan, I have got to make these portable or they just won’t make the cut.

• Nicole says

Pretty much the only that could make these bars better would be not crumbling! So you just heat the honey in a pan before adding it to the other ingredients? Sounds like it would be hard to stir thoroughly, but I’m willing to give it a try.

• Kipp says

You will need a candy thermometer to make sure that the honey heats to 270F. You need to add a little water to the honey. It is 3 tablespoons to every 1/2 cup honey, so 4-1/2 tablespoons of water if using 3/4 cup honey. It takes a while over medium heat to reach 270F, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After the honey reaches the desired temperature you remove it immediately from the heat and add all of your other ingredients to the pot and stir to coat everything evenly. The honey will be in a more “liquid” form and will coat the ingredients easily. As the mixture cools the honey will harden and hold the bars together. I haven’t tried this method yet, but the more I think about it, I would probably whisk the almond butter in to the honey first quickly and then add the dry ingredients. I am not sure if the applesauce would work well with this method either. I usually only add dry ingredients to the honey/water (and for my recipe, vanilla and salt).

• Anne says

Thank you Kelly for this amazing recipe. I can’t wait to try it and share it with my family, I know they will love it.

• kelly says

Hi Anne, thank you kindly for dropping by. I’m so pleased to hear that you’re going to give this recipe a try. If you have a moment, please let me know how you and your family enjoy it… the journey through the tulips is amazing, isn’t it. A soul brightener indeed :) have a lovely evening.

40. kelly says

Hi Kipp, thanks for dropping by with your feedback. You’re spot on about the price… I think I mention it at some point in the comment chain that I encourage experimenting but also recognize that the cost of these quality ingredients is on the steep side, to say the least. That said, I am so intrigued by your method and would love to hear if it worked. Please share with us if you have an opportunity.